Human Trafficking & The Expat

generalmark
Posted
Posted

i am not a legal expert with the intimate knowledge of global laws about human trafficking but trying to work out how not to get trapped in it, i was wondering how other expats deal with this very tricky area of the law.

marriage is not an option as i dont sign contracts now or in the future so having a girlfriend is the most commitment i want to make.

it seems to me that any exchange of or giving of financial value, however small, can be construed to be human trafficking unless of course there is a contract in place.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think you understand the situation clearly. If you pay for sex in Philippines or are alone with a woman under the age of 18 you could find yourself in a great deal of trouble.

Many men think as you looking for a girlfriend or to be in a monogamous long term relationship outside of marriage.

Edited by Old55

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Not really an issue if you make sure she is over 21. (Ok 18, but 21 is better). The older the less of an issue with family. You are worrying about the stuff that may never happen and thereby not enjoying yourself. In reality, I do not remember anyone having an issue with an over 21 who he was not actually hiring to work as a sex worker. If you want a GF, I see no problems as long as you screen her the same way you would screen an Anglo woman as a potential scammer. Once past the vetting, go for it.   

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Excellent point Bruce!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

i am not a legal expert with the intimate knowledge of global laws about human trafficking but trying to work out how not to get trapped in it, i was wondering how other expats deal with this very tricky area of the law.

marriage is not an option as i dont sign contracts now or in the future so having a girlfriend is the most commitment i want to make.

it seems to me that any exchange of or giving of financial value, however small, can be construed to be human trafficking unless of course there is a contract in place.

I think there is a big difference of having a relationship with someone and providing support than the anti trafficking laws.

This is the latest amendment to the laws,

Under RA 10364, recruitment in the guise of domestic or overseas employment for sexual exploitation, forced labor or involuntary debt bondage, can now be considered human trafficking.

Also considered as human trafficking are these acts: recruitment of any Filipino woman to marry a foreigner, engagement in sex tourism, recruitment for organ removal, and recruitment of a child to engage in armed activities abroad.
Penalties range from six months’ community service to 20 years imprisonment, and a maximum fine of not less than P2 million.

And if you have time you can try to make sense of it all here,  http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2013/ra_10364_2013.html

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Also considered as human trafficking are these acts: recruitment of any Filipino woman to marry a foreigner,
I find it good if they work hard against human trafficing,

BUT it's crazy if GOOD actions are punished too!    :bash:   

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

If you stick to normal girlfriend types you should be good to go.  Just avoid those who want to be 'rescued' and would really prefer to be working in a factory for $60 a month :lmao:

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Also considered as human trafficking are these acts: recruitment of any Filipino woman to marry a foreigner, engagement in sex tourism, recruitment for organ removal, and recruitment of a child to engage in armed activities abroad.

OK, I have to ask.... that last part about armed children for armed activities ABROAD... Does that mean it is STILL ok for the Philippine based terrorist groups to recruit kids for armed activities ON Philippine soil?

The muslim terrorist group now sending their soldiers from Mindanao to Sulu / Malaysia to try and annex that north part for their own use are 'legal' under the sex trafficking laws until their under age soldiers actually leave the country? Then, the muslim terrorist group (abu sayaf???) is, in addition to a terrorist and criminal group, also sex traffickers?

Has anyone told the underage soldiers this? :hystery: