Us Visa Options For Wife & Fiance

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know the topic heading says this section is for IN the PHILIPPINES visa requirements but it looked like the best place to also discuss US Visa Options for Wife & Fiance.  This is split from another thread so the subject can be all about visas. No cricket discussion in this thread eh! :hystery:

The 3 types of visas I will relay about are B-2 tourist, spouse and fiance.  There are others.

bear w/me,

if one is married , would it be PRUDENT to have a B1/B2 or a Spouse type Visa already for our wife(spouse)?

as many time its been discuss that we have a PLAN A .

well if you/I/ us get sick or incapacitated and require

going back home, who or how would you/I/we get back? 

this topic I hope maybe a WAKING UP CALL to others who have loved ones back home and may need uncle/father/brother

to return BUT .

we cant. As our spouse doesnt have a VISA to travel  to  accompany us  due to old age or illness

this is not to be rude to others w/my post. but many times being PROACTIVE can be a lifesaver

You are correct that we should have some kind of visa ready for our wife to travel to our home country which may be easy for some countries but very difficult for the USA and that's the point that will be made by this and other incidents.

My wife's sister lives on Bohol with her American husband. Several months ago he applied for a spouse visa through an agency. Recently he went back to the USA because the agency told him that he needs to be living there while the visa is processed which could take several more months. And, when he finally gets the visa its only valid for so many days. I think the fiancee visa to the USA is only valid for 30 days. The process to get a spouse visa to the USA is currently taking between 1 1/2 and 2 years. These two visas plus a work visa are the only visas that I ever hear being issued to Filipinas to travel to the USA. The point I'm trying to make is I don't believe anyone can have a visa ready all the time for his Filipina wife to travel with him to the USA. If there is a way I hope someone will post it here for all Americans who live in the Philippines. Even if you obtain a visa its only good for a short time and if its not used your next request for a visa may be denied.

The USA has very strict immigration laws which make it very difficult for foreigners to enter America legally, but millions are allow to enter illegally and very little is done about it. That's what makes me angry. Some of the congressmen and the president even want to make the illegals US citizens. The system works completely backwards. My wife should be able to visit her family in America during a family emergence but I bet there is no provision for that while thousand are walking across the boarder illegally every week.

So far there's no reply from the Consulate in Cebu. I have no interest in going back to America anyway. I just thought this would be a good time for my wife to meet our family members in America before another one dies or is killed.

All visas to enter the USA from the Philippines require an interview at the US Embassy in Manila. 

Spouse or fiance petition interview application fee: US $190 (see B-2 touist @ #5 - no petition required)

BEFORE you get to the interview you must submit a petition.  Separate fees apply.

1. To petition for someone you DO NOT have to be IN the USA.

Officially I never moved to the Philippines, I am just visiting for an extended period.  UNTIL THE VISA IS ISSUED.  You will have to provide an address, YOURS in the USA, where the person you petition will live with you.  Makes sense and nothing illegal about it.   I am just not at 'my house' while the petition processes.  You can also change that address at any time later in the process.

Application sent from Philippines to Dallas USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).  The petition is then assigned to a service center based on your USA address.  They will use your address provided in case there are requests for additional evidence.  There were none in my case because I triple re-checked everything to make sure it was complete.  In case, the address was monitored for important mail.  There are follow-on requirements after arrival in the USA and all your service is based on your USA address so NO you cannot file the petition without a USA address provided.

2. A spouse visa currently takes 13 months (from application date to fly date).  The petition is taking 12 months.  One more month for the physical and interview at the embassy.  IF something like TB comes up expect an 8 month delay.

Total cost is LESS than the fiance visa by a few hundred dollars.  You'll have to do your own checking for exact price (imagine all inclusive price of $1500 approximately if you don't want to look it up).  I believe you need petition, medical & interview only.  http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

3. A fiance visa currently takes 7 months.  The petition is taking 6 months.  One more month for the physical and interview at the embassy.  IF something like TB (Tuberculosis) comes up expect an 8 month delay.  There are costs for petition, medical, and adjustment of status after marriage.  Total WITH the interview fee: US $2000 approx. 

4. A fiance visa is good for 6 months to enter the US UNLESS there is another limiting factor, such as medical.  An example is with TB, more common than we would like in Philippines, the visa is only good for entry within 90 days from the last date of a negative result at the end of TB treatment.

5. There are tourist visas available, B2. Application fee: US $160

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhniv7.html  I LOOKED but I got TIRED and BORED before I found the length of time a visa is good for travel into the USA from the issue date.  I did see that immigration at the point-of-entry determines the length of time allowed to stay without an extension.  I am sure that the visa is good for 1 year or less to travel, likely 6 months.  So that makes holding one open for travel in an emergency impractical at $160 per interview. 

The embassy does have an emergency travel visa available for death in family, etc.  It is on their site.  It may be a good plan to have an application ready in case of a need.  If you prepare all the paperwork requirements ahead and feel pretty comfortable that you can demonstrate an expected return to the Philippines through "strong ties" it would likely get approval at the time of need.  How fast can you get an appointment??? (enlarged for emphasis to expat living needs)

A one day jet trip to Manila from Cebu will cost around P7000 on average for one person.  That adds up quickly when you have to make 3 or 4 trips to get everything done.  The embassy interview is a ONE day deal so if only doing B-2 then 1 trip should be all you need.  This example for the interview took a 3am departure to Manila and easily made the 4pm flight back.  The interview was done at 11:30 with a 7:30 appointment time.  Arrived at the embassy and got in line at around 5:30.

The medical for fiance/spouse will likely take 2 days unless showing up at 4am or earlier.  Also, depending on anything the medical finds there may be other tests.  It is best to NOT buy any tickets ahead for return as you could end up changing them and paying a lot more.

There are sites specifically dedicated to visa issues for entering the USA from the Philippines.  Do a search or PM me if you would like a link to the one that I use.

THAT IS ALL :540:  Hope I remembered everything... this is my proofreader's day off. :no:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2

dalidali
Posted
Posted

It's unfortunate to say the least, that a USA citizen who is legally married to a foreign national has to wait such an outrageous amount of  time to get that visa.

I suspect it has something to do with the massive amount of fraudulent applications and fradulent marriages that slows down the wheels of spousal visas.

In fact, I believe there is a whole underground industry devoted to obtaining a fraudulent visa and the Philippines is certainly no exception.

In addition, according to the USA Manila embassy, there are 200,000 applications annually for non-immigrant visas and over 60,000 immigrant and fiancee visas annually.

It is unclear if that is USA Embassy wide or only the Manila location.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Yes, they are on fraud alert and spouse abuser/criminal screening also.  The interview takes about 3 minutes or less most of the time.  It is mostly all in the paperwork and background checks.  BOTH countries are trying their best to protect their people... LOTS of folks there on our interview day.... probably over 1000, so average according to your numbers.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

This looks daunting indeed.  I want to travel to the US with my girlfriend in late 2014... looks like it is already time to start the process!  If we get a fiancee visa do we have to actually get married?

And yes there is a lot of fraud in the system.  While still living in Texas I was offered $30,000 for a 5 year marriage.  Of course with some quick math you see that is only $6,000 a year to be married - NOT worth it ha ha.  (and illegal too).    :tiphat:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you take a fiancee to the USA the visa is good for 90 days. You either have to get married during those 90 days and applying to change her status or she has to return to the Philippines. That one is very clear and simple.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
4. A fiance visa is good for 6 months to enter the US UNLESS there is another limiting factor, such as medical.

An example is with TB, more common than we would like in Philippines,

the visa is only good for entry within 90 days from

the last date of a negative result at the end of TB treatment.

in many of my posts i have advocated or at least hinted at  being "PROACTIVE"

this is another reason 1 must be "PROACTIVE"

a simple TB test may cost under 1k($18usd) and by knowing in-advance

if she or even you have an "health issue with  TB you can nip it before it gets out of hand.

( philhealth does pay for DOTS treatment)

or if you was told that you dont have it and X months later you was told you  "been exposed",

maybe you have a FALSE- POSITIVE ,,

POINT i am trying to make , by making sure NOW you now major health issues, at least its ONE less worry

late edit,,

i posted this as  i have read in a "visa related articles/forum"

that TB is one of the items they look for

when doing a physical evam/health check up.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Filipino`s can get free medication for TB.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

4. A fiance visa is good for 6 months to enter the US UNLESS there is another limiting factor, such as medical.

An example is with TB, more common than we would like in Philippines,

the visa is only good for entry within 90 days from

the last date of a negative result at the end of TB treatment.

in many of my posts i have advocated or at least hinted at  being "PROACTIVE"

this is another reason 1 must be "PROACTIVE"

a simple TB test may cost under 1k($18usd) and by knowing in-advance

if she or even you have an "health issue with  TB you can nip it before it gets out of hand.

( philhealth does pay for DOTS treatment)

or if you was told that you dont have it and X months later you was told you  "been exposed",

maybe you have a FALSE- POSITIVE ,,

POINT i am trying to make , by making sure NOW you now major health issues, at least its ONE less worry

TB test = good idea

Folks should know that your TB tine test is not a good indicator here.  I won't go into all the technical about that, but for the price mentioned you can get a proper check.  X-ray was 700 peso with a reading in Manila.  IF you want a doctor to double check add 300.  The taxi's cost around the same for 2 trips to the hospital (x-ray & pickup) and 1 to a doc.  So, 2000 peso all-in for me.

Like Brock said, the medication is free whether you have phil-health or not.  If you are Filipino and determined to have TB and refuse treatment you are reported to the government.  I don't know what they do?!

EDIT: added

This looks daunting indeed.  I want to travel to the US with my girlfriend in late 2014... looks like it is already time to start the process!  If we get a fiancee visa do we have to actually get married?

And yes there is a lot of fraud in the system.  While still living in Texas I was offered $30,000 for a 5 year marriage.  Of course with some quick math you see that is only $6,000 a year to be married - NOT worth it ha ha.  (and illegal too).    :tiphat:

If you just want to visit you only need the B-2.  If you are not married I'm not sure how they would look at that in the requirement to show that she would return because of "strong ties" to the Philippines.  Maybe a visit to a place that has posts specific to that is in order?  $160 is a lot less than $1000 if you do not plan on marrying and staying there at least for a while.  That is what we will do.. After the wedding it is $1070 fee for more paperwork to change to immigrant from non-immigrant.

$6000 profit for a marriage sounds good some days.  I PAY that much now, so net is $12,000 + / year. :hystery:

Note: Even though we are not legally married with a paper.  We had our own little private wedding for two and have considered ourselves spiritually :thumbsup:  married since 1 week after my arrival in Cebu.  That was a week before we were engaged. :cheersty:  15 months later........... :nudie: 

Edited by GregZ