Mike's Musings - Shamed

Mike Farrell
Posted
Posted

This was written several years ago. I read it periodically to remotivate and rededicate myself. =======================I was shamed today. A young Irish friend, after completing college in CDO, waited for his Filipina wife to graduate, before returning to Ireland. They are here now for a visit. On short notice, they collected $3,000 from neighbors in Ireland to purchase "necessities" for orphanages in CDO. I was shamed today. I volunteered my van and became their driver. We visited a facility with 39 unwanted street children. Each received a "backpack" with shirt, pants, slippers, writing books, pens, pencils, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, punch, candy, etc. I was shamed today. I received the traditional "blessing" from 36 individual children, and a sincere "thank you" as they walked away from the gift table. Some were reluctant to remove cellophane or open boxes, this wasthe first "new" thing they had ever owned. I was shamed today. I watched older street children organizing a gift line placing the younger/smaller ones first. I watched three mind-blown glue sniffers cared for by the older (aged 10?) children. I was shamed today. I sought refuge behind what I have done, what I have given, on aone- to-one. I included sponsored parties, outings, etc. I came upshort. I hid behind "when an opportunity presents itself......" Previous posts, I have bragged about our ex-pat weekly get-togethers, our raffle to support our beach parties, etc. etc. I was shamed today. I have always considered there were three kinds of people; thosewho made things happen, those who let things happen, and those whodidn't know what is happening. I'm resigning, and turning in my ID card from the third group. Ifyou expect to find me, you better look in the first group. I'll be spending most of my time there. On Wednesday, I will announce the new terms for the raffle. Not P20 minimum, but P100. Profits to support our orphanage project. Non-participants can form their own group, someplace else. I was shamed today. But by God, on my word as a member of the human race, it will bethe LAST time. Mike Farrell Cagayan de Oro

TheMason
Posted
Posted
This was written several years ago. I read it periodically to remotivate and rededicate myself. =======================I was shamed today. A young Irish friend, after completing college in CDO, waited for his Filipina wife to graduate, before returning to Ireland. They are here now for a visit. On short notice, they collected $3,000 from neighbors in Ireland to purchase "necessities" for orphanages in CDO. I was shamed today. I volunteered my van and became their driver. We visited a facility with 39 unwanted street children. Each received a "backpack" with shirt, pants, slippers, writing books, pens, pencils, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, punch, candy, etc. I was shamed today. I received the traditional "blessing" from 36 individual children, and a sincere "thank you" as they walked away from the gift table. Some were reluctant to remove cellophane or open boxes, this wasthe first "new" thing they had ever owned. I was shamed today. I watched older street children organizing a gift line placing the younger/smaller ones first. I watched three mind-blown glue sniffers cared for by the older (aged 10?) children. I was shamed today. I sought refuge behind what I have done, what I have given, on aone- to-one. I included sponsored parties, outings, etc. I came upshort. I hid behind "when an opportunity presents itself......" Previous posts, I have bragged about our ex-pat weekly get-togethers, our raffle to support our beach parties, etc. etc. I was shamed today. I have always considered there were three kinds of people; thosewho made things happen, those who let things happen, and those whodidn't know what is happening. I'm resigning, and turning in my ID card from the third group. Ifyou expect to find me, you better look in the first group. I'll be spending most of my time there. On Wednesday, I will announce the new terms for the raffle. Not P20 minimum, but P100. Profits to support our orphanage project. Non-participants can form their own group, someplace else. I was shamed today. But by God, on my word as a member of the human race, it will bethe LAST time. Mike Farrell Cagayan de Oro
Welcome to the boards, I 'love' forum bombers that repost a bunch of stuff from other forums.I'm shamed because it took me 3 minutes to figure out how to add you to my ignore list.