Brp Ramon Alcaraz (Pf-16)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If you have the TV on, here in Subic Bay they are having the welcoming ceremony for the "new" PI Navy ship Ramon Alcaraz, with President Aquino as the honored guest.

Our US ambassador is sitting next to Aquino and had an IPad out while others were speaking, showing Aquino something .  Seemed very inappropriate and rude.  I don't know much about the guy but I recall some here calling him and idiot, and maybe I am starting to agree.

Nice looking ship!  I tried to go down to see if I could get some pics, but it is not possible today.  Maybe tomorrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRP_Ramon_Alcaraz_(PF-16)

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

and who is Ramon Alcaraz? here is some info on him.

1.       Ramon Alcaraz belonged to the(first graduating class)pioneer class in Philippine Military Academy. After his graduation in 1940, he joined Offshore Patrol (OSP), which is the forerunner of the Philippine Navy today.

2.       Alcaraz became the captain of Q-112 Abra, which was one of only three motor torpedo boats in the Philippine Army. He saw action during World War II under the direct command of Field Marshal Douglas MacArthur.

3.       He was tasked to scuttle and sink 15 Japanese ships in the Pasig River to prevent their capture.

4.       On board the torpedo boat, Alcaraz was also able to shoot down three low-flying Japanese planes, which were supposed to drop bombs in Bataan on January 17, 1942. This became his most famous exploit for which he received a Silver Star from MacArthur himself.

5.       Japanese forces eventually captured Alcaraz near the shore of Paombong after Q-112 Abra was scuttled four miles off Bataan province on April 10, 1942. He was subsequently incarcerated in Malolos.

6.       After he was freed, Alcaraz joined the Philippine Constabulary and used it as a cover for guerrilla operations in Bulacan and Northern Luzon. He served as regimental commander of a guerrilla unit.

7.       Alcaraz went back to OSP in order to modernize and strengthen what became the Philippine Navy.

8.       Under the orders of then Defense Secretary Ramon Magsaysay, he was sent to the United States to study the organization of the U.S. Marines in 1950. His report was instrumental for the organization of the Philippine Marine Corps

.(known as father of the Philippine Marines.)

9.       In 1964, Alcaraz was appointed head of the Naval Operations Force, where he was able to seize P750,000 worth of smuggled cigarettes each month.

10.   In spite of his achievements, Alcaraz found himself out of favor with then President Ferdinand Marcos, who secretly met with smugglers and agreed to restrain Navy patrols for share of profits a few days after his inauguration in December 1965.

11.   Alcaraz criticized the National Defense policy during the Marcos regime until his retirement. In the 1969 elections, Alcaraz joined a group of retired officers backing Sergio Osmeña Jr. for the presidency.

12.   Alcaraz was arrested during Martial Law, which forced him to leave the country for the United States, where he continued to oppose the Marcos dictatorship. He passed away on June 25, 2009 in Orange County, Southern California.

Three years after his death, President Aquino announced he will name the country’s second warship after Alcaraz during the 70th anniversary of the Fall of Corregidor in May 2012.

President Aquino believes Navy officials and personnel should imitate Alcaraz's courage and principle and he best symbolizes the country’s goal for modernization.

http://www.gov.ph/2013/08/06/briefer-on-ramon-alcaraz/

IMG_20130806_104609-596x447.jpg

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Under the orders of then Defense Secretary Ramon Magsaysay, he was sent to the United States to study the

organization of the U.S. Marines in 1950. His report was instrumental for the organization of the Philippine

Marine Corps (known as father of the Philippine Marines).

Thank you Ed for great history lesson.  I have always admired the Filipino Marine and now I know that he was

the Father of the Philippine Marine Corp.  Here is another photo of their new warship:

post-686-0-82911800-1375797001_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Under the orders of then Defense Secretary Ramon Magsaysay, he was sent to the United States to study the

organization of the U.S. Marines in 1950. His report was instrumental for the organization of the Philippine

Marine Corps (known as father of the Philippine Marines).

Thank you Ed for great history lesson.  I have always admired the Filipino Marine and now I know that he was

the Father of the Philippine Marine Corp.  Here is another photo of their new warship:

attachicon.gifBRP Ramon Alcarz.jpg

I think it is painted white now, with a very light gray lower hull.  I hope to get a picture tomorrow.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Blackie and I stopped by after dropping the little girl at school, and I got a few pictures.  There is a permanent building in front of the ship, and the tents from yesterday were still up, so I could not get a good shot from the side.

post-1784-0-27776200-1375836679_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-88667700-1375836720_thumb.jp

Blackie preparing for another hard day at work!  He is species confused and thinks he is a dog.  He loves to go on car rides!

post-1784-0-22285500-1375836803_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Whichever Deck Officer was in charge of mooring the ship needs a lesson in basic seamanship!