Courtesy Visa For Us Military Retired

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A close friend emailed that he has applied for the new SRRV program Courtesy Visa for US military retired. This will be the first application. Let's keep our fingers crossed there are no hiccups. The expansion of the Courtesy Visa is an important step in the liberalization of the visa program for international retirees. 

I Am Bob, I will wait until after the approval of the first application before asking the PRA if the Courtesy Visa can be extended to include Canadian, Australian, etc. military retirees.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was reading on a Yahoo group and they cited RAO news (which I had never heard of http://www2.mozcom.com/~rao_cabr/raonews1.htm) and it cites PRA CIRCULAR 016, and says that the new visa is for military retirees OR anyone serving honorably with a DD214, over 50, and a monthly retirement of $1,000 minimum.  They continue to say it is a $1,400 app fee and only a $1,500 deposit.  But they don't have any links to verify.

Any idea if this is accurate?  I am not 50 yet... but it would be nice soon... if true.  :tiphat:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

That indeed is good news, based on that I am eligible for the retired military SRRV. But I will have to wait to apply until I get back to the USA and get my DD214.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My understanding is the SRRV program visa applications are processed by the Philippine Retirement Authority, which is under the Department of Tourism. The Bureau of Immigration is the agency that actually issues the visa. Since the Courtesy visa for American military retirees is a new program, they need to make sure there are no bureaucratic snafus.

The PRA did a presentation at the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 2485 in Angeles City, Philippines. It is the largest overseas VFW Post in the world. Possibly several veterans applied after the presentation. I know of one because he sent me an email. The PRA asked him to document the experience possibly for publicity later. 

By the way, one requirement is a police clearance. Does he return to California or can he obtain a copy while in the Philippines? 

• 4 weeks later...
Charles
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this awesome news because I have been interested in this retirement visa for a while and hope to see any further information about it.  I did email the PRA with the hope that I may get more information on how to avail of this here in Cebu, but as with many agencies I am sure to never get a response. :-)

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this awesome news because I have been interested in this retirement visa for a while and hope to see any further information about it.  I did email the PRA with the hope that I may get more information on how to avail of this here in Cebu, but as with many agencies I am sure to never get a response. :-)

Hello Shipmate,

Perhaps you may have better luck in visiting/contacting the VFW branch in Cebu.  Thanks to JJR's post above,

it would be prudent for us veterans to visit the nearest VFW as soon as possible.  Besides swapping sea stories

you may get the straight skinny on this so called Courtesy Visa for military retirees.  

Angeles City -- http://www.vfwpost2485.com/

Cebu City -- http://vfwpost12130.net/

Good luck Sailor -- Jake (USN E-9 retarded)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A close friend of mine is the first applicant for the Courtesy visa for US military retirees. This is a test case to look for potential snafu. The first one has emerged and the Chief Executive Officer of the Philippine Retirement Authority is correcting it. Once the process is complete and the visa is issued (PRA's role is to process visas, but BI has to approve), the recipient will write about it. This includes articles for publications frequently read by veterans. 

I Am Bob, I sent Dr. Vernie Atienza an email asking if Canadian, Australian and other military retirees are included. So far, no response. There is a large group of us attending the Federation of Philippine Chambers of Commerce conference in Los Angeles this November. Vernie wrote yesterday that he might be joining the group at the conference. I will ask when we see each other.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A close friend of mine is the first applicant for the Courtesy visa for US military retirees. This is a test case to look for potential snafu. The first one has emerged and the Chief Executive Officer of the Philippine Retirement Authority is correcting it. Once the process is complete and the visa is issued (PRA's role is to process visas, but BI has to approve), the recipient will write about it. This includes articles for publications frequently read by veterans.

I Am Bob, I sent Dr. Vernie Atienza an email asking if Canadian, Australian and other military retirees are included. So far, no response. There is a large group of us attending the Federation of Philippine Chambers of Commerce conference in Los Angeles this November. Vernie wrote yesterday that he might be joining the group at the conference. I will ask when we see each other.

Thanks JJ!