Lcd Tv Repair Or Used To Buy

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have a used tv for sale or know someone who can fix mine?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have a used tv for sale or know someone who can fix mine?

Hello Lordblacknail,  

If you don't mind explaining the symptoms, perhaps we could assist you.  Personally, I only charge case

of beer per hour and have my trusty crescent-hammer on standby for more difficult problems.....he, he.

I'm the higgledy-piggledy technician, at your service (King Tuka recommended me) -- Jake 

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

i have no picture, just horizontal n vertical lines. Cant get a menu. Sound seems to be ok. works the same on tv, dvd, and thumb drive. Vizio said maybe the vid card.

Jake
Posted
Posted

i have no picture, just horizontal n vertical lines. Cant get a menu. Sound seems to be ok. works the same on tv, dvd, and thumb drive. Vizio said maybe the vid card.

Any signs of liquid spill or physical damage?  Did the problem occur during unstable power spikes?  Assuming it's

out of warranty and if you feel comfortable, you can do an open and inspect.  From your symptoms, you're actually

getting a display (H-V lines only) so that means your power supply voltages (5, 12 and 24vdc) and driver board to

feed the back light (florescent tubing or LED's) may be OK.  I would check those voltages anyway, as a matter of

routine.  For example, If the 5vdc is way out of tolerance (less than 4.5vdc), use your eyes to check for electrolytic

capacitors that blew its top.  You can smell it too.  

post-686-0-16799000-1376287321_thumb.jpg

I tend to agree that it's your video processor IC chip or ribbon connections to the LCD panel.  The video processor

is mounted on the motherboard and the whole board is usually replaced, unless someone there can troubleshooting

component level and perform solder repair using micro-miniature techniques.      

As always, my crescent-hammer is available for vibration stress test.....he, he.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Yes Jake. It sounds like the Signal Processor PCB.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I suggest you remove and replace the vacuum tubes in the signal processor board one at a time see if one is failing.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I suggest you remove and replace the vacuum tubes in the signal processor board one at a time see if one is failing.

Those were the good old days, vacuum tubes were easy to troubleshoot and replace.  Now we need a damn

microscope trying to trace intermittent problems due to ESD damage on top of an IC chip.  And then we need

steady hands to unsolder those tiny legs without doing a butcher job on the board.  

I would rather use my crescent-hammer to put it out of its misery......he, he.

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

The main board is $205 plus around $50 to change it here. Wondering if I would be better off buying another one.

Jake
Posted
Posted

The main board is $205 plus around $50 to change it here. Wondering if I would be better off buying another one.

It sounds like you're having a local technician replace the board for you.  I think I would go that route rather

than buying another LCD TV.  If the replacement did not improve the symptoms, then you might reconsider

buying another TV, perhaps another brand?

The other possible problem is the LCD panel itself (worst case).  The panel is the most expensive part of

any laptop, monitor or TV.  The other possible cause is the LVDS interface board and its delicate ribbon

cable going to the LCD panel (hidden underneath).  You can also see another ribbon cable from the video

processor board:

post-686-0-93695800-1376380867_thumb.jpg LVDS upper left

This is a Samsung configuration

Good luck to you sir!

• Like 1