American Diver Shot Dead By Security Guard

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/...arch-shot-dead

MANILA, Philippines - The American deep-sea diver who helped in the search and retrieval for the late Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo was shot dead in a subdivision in Las Piñas City, Thursday night.

Matt Caldwell, who helped in the operation to recover Robredo following a plane crash off Masbate in August last year, was killed during an altercation with a security guard at Hamilton Heights.

Related story: Volunteer divers join search

Philippine Coast Guard spokesperson Armand Balilo said that Caldwell came from a meeting with the agency'sauxiliary divers when he figured in an altercation with the security guard.

Balilo said Caldwell was shot dead at point blank range.

The United States Embassy in Manila has started an investigation into the diver's killing.

Edited by brock

Curley
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines - The American deep-sea diver who helped in the search and retrieval for the late Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo was shot dead in a subdivision in Las Piñas City, Thursday night.

Matt Caldwell, who helped in the operation to recover Robredo following a plane crash off Masbate in August last year, was killed during an altercation with a security guard at Hamilton Heights.

Philippine Coast Guard spokesperson Armand Balilo said that Caldwell came from a meeting with the agency'sauxiliary divers when he figured in an altercation with the security guard.

The United States Embassy in Manila has started an investigation into the diver's killing.

and some people are worried about me going to Colombia instead of the Phils.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

These security guards are trigger happy, never a good idea to !@#$ with them.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
and some people are worried about me going to Colombia instead of the Phils.

True! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395654/Hero-US-diver-murdered-Phillippines-blasted-face-shotgun-security-guard-row-outside-home.html

The article says it was a disputer at the front gate of a gated community where the dead America was not being allowed entrance to his house because the guard says that the monthly dues had not been paid.

Shot in the face with a shotgun and the guard and a companion then fled on a motorcycle.

This is basically the same situation of 2 years ago then another person was killed by the gate guard for non payment of dues. There are some posts on the forum on that topic.

Unanswered questions about 'who' told the guard not to allow access OR did anyone offer the guard a commission on the collection of the dues. The payment of the dues or non payment of the dues has no actual impact on the guard unless there was a financial aspect which caused the guard to become 'more involved' in order to get that money.

To keep things in proper perspective.... The guard, now on the run has destroyed his own life and effected the lives of his family with his loss of income, all for 'nothing' as the guard should not have been in a position to care if or if not the dues were paid.

Ok fellas, you can start the 'saving face' arguments and why it is never good to yell or confront a Pinoy..... :cheersty:

I would expect any follow up articles to quote the management in saying the guard was acting on his own and without their knowledge.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395654/Hero-US-diver-murdered-Phillippines-blasted-face-shotgun-security-guard-row-outside-home.html

The article says it was a disputer at the front gate of a gated community where the dead America was not being allowed entrance to his house because the guard says that the monthly dues had not been paid.

Shot in the face with a shotgun and the guard and a companion then fled on a motorcycle.

This is basically the same situation of 2 years ago then another person was killed by the gate guard for non payment of dues. There are some posts on the forum on that topic.

Unanswered questions about 'who' told the guard not to allow access OR did anyone offer the guard a commission on the collection of the dues. The payment of the dues or non payment of the dues has no actual impact on the guard unless there was a financial aspect which caused the guard to become 'more involved' in order to get that money.

To keep things in proper perspective.... The guard, now on the run has destroyed his own life and effected the lives of his family with his loss of income, all for 'nothing' as the guard should not have been in a position to care if or if not the dues were paid.

Ok fellas, you can start the 'saving face' arguments and why it is never good to yell or confront a Pinoy..... :cheersty:

I would expect any follow up articles to quote the management in saying the guard was acting on his own and without their knowledge.

I never !@#$ with anyone carrying a gun, especially in the Philippines. A few months ago I was short changed at a hardware store, I paid with a 1000 peso note, but the cashier insisted it was only a 100. I had a brief exchange with the woman, to which she started to get heated, and then my GF got into it, was not long before the armed guard pulled his revolver and waded into it, to which I said no problem, and just left the store quickly. I told my GF that it was not worth it, it was only 1000php....lol...she still did not want to drop it, cause she knew the woman had cheated us. I explained the alternatives would not be awesome if security got involved.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
This is basically the same situation of 2 years ago then another person was killed by the gate guard for non payment of dues. There are some posts on the forum on that topic.
Yes  :1 (72):

And what did the guard do, when the Embassy related American was stabbed to death when he had a fight with four Filipinos?

So perhaps I will be MORE safe than living in a guarded subdivision, living with no close neighbours in outbacks  :)  even IF I will not bother to have a guard living where my road connect to the public road...

• Like 2