Media For My New House

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looking for ideas for my new place, I know a lot of techies love to spend money for other people so I'm open to suggestions...

I discovered yesterday that taking extra baggage will cost a whopping 150 Euros or $200 US for 23 Kg so taking my existing desktop is not on, I had thought of stripping the machine out but have decided to transfer my files onto an external hard drive and sell this one and replace it with new over there.

I'm not a great TV fan although I do watch some downloads of documentaries and interesting clips on youtube but I am assuming that I will find myself a "keeper" sometime in the future who no doubt will want to see some TV. My current set up is a flat screen TV that has not been turned on for about 3 years, surround sound system with a hard drive for music and through which I can plug in my personal dvd

I will be remodeling the new house which will have a large kitchen leading out through wide patio doors to a large covered veranda for eating/chilling etc (no TV on the veranda but music yes) next to the kitchen living room will be a lounge, I don't want computers or TV to dominate those areas but if I am to share the house then I have to make allowances for her desires so I thought maybe one central system to provide music/TV/internet access for the 3 spaces.

I have heard that it's not possible to get a landline and internet at my new house but will have to access through the mobile, I believe there are boxes that will act as wifi receivers/access points so will probably need something for that as well.

GPS....  my new car there won't have it fitted as standard and that's another thing that I'll be looking at.... I've never used one but assume that maps of Colombia will be Spanish based but will the voice instructions be available in English? I'm assuming that a smartphone app will not be much good in the mountains with likely signal dropouts or am I wrong? I shall only need it in the city really.

The master bedroom will be at the other end of the house (L shaped) and we will need TV/internet/music there also.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have heard that it's not possible to get a landline and internet at my new house but will have to access through the mobile, I believe there are boxes that will act as wifi receivers/access points so will probably need something for that as well.
If to low signal,

some have solved it by antenna (or parabol disc),

some have solved it by jack up a mobile to top under the roof  :)  but it can improve the signal rather much.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

If to low signal,

some have solved it by antenna (or parabol disc),

some have solved it by jack up a mobile to top under the roof  :)  but it can improve the signal rather much.

There's no problem with getting a mobile phone signal, just no availability of landlines in my area.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Curley ..... after viewing your new place I must say it is beautiful and the view is spectacular .... the water is so blue .... 

Anyway I wanted to just give my thoughts on piping music to all the rooms (if I read your post correctly) be sure you have separate cut on and off switches for each room .... my house in Florida had no such set up and if someone wanted to play music everyone had to listen to it .... I finally got pissed and had to install an on/off  switch for each speaker at the main component to keep from running wires all over the place ..... I'm sure it will be OK for you know but you never know if you get lucky you both may have different tastes in music .... :mocking:  ..... if I didn't read your post correctly then I just babbled on about nothing ..... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Curley ..... after viewing your new place I must say it is beautiful and the view is spectacular .... the water is so blue .... 

Anyway I wanted to just give my thoughts on piping music to all the rooms (if I read your post correctly) be sure you have separate cut on and off switches for each room .... my house in Florida had no such set up and if someone wanted to play music everyone had to listen to it .... I finally got pissed and had to install an on/off  switch for each speaker at the main component to keep from running wires all over the place ..... I'm sure it will be OK for you know but you never know if you get lucky you both may have different tastes in music .... :mocking:  ..... if I didn't read your post correctly then I just babbled on about nothing ..... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

Thanks for the input, my thoughts are to have a lot of media on one pc to be used as a server that can be accessed from each/any room, I need some ideas on how it should be done.