Bug Zapper Recommendation Needed

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm shopping for a bug zapper for our patio.  Someone said that the Kill Pest brand was good.  I think they have those at Ace.

Does anyone recommend any brands or types?

brock
Posted
Posted

If you cant find what your looking for, Have a look on youtube and it will show you how to make your own.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Most of the models are based on the principal of attracting flying insects to a light source. I don't know of a brand that is more effective or better designed than the others. It is therefore a question of price and the life cycle of the model you are purchasing.

There was a university research group that applied and received government grant money to determine what insects are killed by the zapper. While many homeowners buy them to get rid of mosquitoes, it was one of the lowest in terms of numbers. The largest was moth. In the Philippines, they sell this sticky coiled tape to trap flies. You hang it usually near the kitchen. Another version is sticky paper on a table. The flies land on them and get stuck on the sticky stuff. Easy to determine effectiveness. You do a head count to determine effectiveness.

By the way, those of you with mango and other fruit trees in your backyard should not kill the flies when the trees flower. The flies are you pollinators similar to bees in the West. There are clubs and commercial companies selling bee colonies to fruits farmers, but their numbers are still small.   

brock
Posted
Posted

fix the cellophane packet from a pack of cigarettes to your light bulb, it will catch flies, they go in but cant get out.

Curley
Posted
Posted

I had an ultra violet light type years ago, it didn't kill the mozzies but it killed and cooked hundreds of moths. The best anti mozzie stuff I've ever used is Listerene mouthwash, just rub some on the surfaces around you and the mozzies stay away.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I bought an electric "mosquito killer" with a blue light (Ultraviolet ?),

but when I checked - in SAME ROOM - a NORMAL light bulb (=NOT energy saver type) killed 3 times more   :)

• Like 1