Last Trip Before Move

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Just purchased our tickets (me,wife,& daughter 8yoa).  Flying from IAD to MNL.  March 13 thru April 20, 2014.  Korean Air with one stop in Seoul.  All total for the three of us was $3605.  Thought this was a little high but the prices had not lowered since they were first posted and last week there was a small increse.  Usually I had found this far out they were lowered before going up.  The last trip was just over $3300. 

This will be a busy trip going to two college graduations.  One in Laguna and one in Negros.  Then a big party.  Checking out schools in Laguna for our daughter for when we relocate there in March 2016.  I'll being retiring in Aug 2015(35 years of service) and will have a lot of the usual stuff to prepare for the move!  Also will be checking with an engineer about renovating my wifes' home to get ready for rent or sale.  Just so many things to do and so little time.  I was hoping this trip would be spent more relaxing but at least we should not be bored. 

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Just purchased our tickets (me,wife,& daughter 8yoa).  Flying from IAD to MNL.  March 13 thru April 20, 2014.  Korean Air with one stop in Seoul.  All total for the three of us was $3605.  Thought this was a little high but the prices had not lowered since they were first posted and last week there was a small increse.  Usually I had found this far out they were lowered before going up.  The last trip was just over $3300. 

This will be a busy trip going to two college graduations.  One in Laguna and one in Negros.  Then a big party.  Checking out schools in Laguna for our daughter for when we relocate there in March 2016.  I'll being retiring in Aug 2015(35 years of service) and will have a lot of the usual stuff to prepare for the move!  Also will be checking with an engineer about renovating my wifes' home to get ready for rent or sale.  Just so many things to do and so little time.  I was hoping this trip would be spent more relaxing but at least we should not be bored. 

Hey Dan,

As you may know, that's the hottest time of year when everyone flocks to the beaches and amusement parks.

So bring plenty of sunscreen, your ball cap and patience travelling around the islands.  

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement from law enforcement.  You certainly deserve a much needed

R and R.  Enjoy your mini vacation and watch your six, OK?

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jake,

We are looking forward to the trip but not the summer sun.  But that is when graduations are and we need to be there for this one. 

You know retirement is an emotional time.  I am ready, REALLY READY!  But it will be a change and im ready.  Did I mention I'm ready ready?  I stayed much longer than I ever expected.  But after 33 years, I can't believe that much time has passed.  But looking forward to the last two years, it seems longer that the past 33!  So I'm ready, can you tell?  I'M READY!  But for now, I will just have to be satisified with a tease of six weeks off.  Five weeks in the islands and a week to recover before returning to work!  I could stay longer but my daughter will already be missing twenty school days.  As for now, just the planning for the trip.

danny

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Jake,

We are looking forward to the trip but not the summer sun.  But that is when graduations are and we need to be there for this one. 

You know retirement is an emotional time.  I am ready, REALLY READY!  But it will be a change and im ready.  Did I mention I'm ready ready?  I stayed much longer than I ever expected.  But after 33 years, I can't believe that much time has passed.  But looking forward to the last two years, it seems longer that the past 33!  So I'm ready, can you tell?  I'M READY!  But for now, I will just have to be satisified with a tease of six weeks off.  Five weeks in the islands and a week to recover before returning to work!  I could stay longer but my daughter will already be missing twenty school days.  As for now, just the planning for the trip.

danny

You and I have been around the block and got ran over by the bus a couple times.....he, he.  When I attended

my retirement seminar from USN (21 years active service), the first thing the medical officer said to us that 20%

of us retirees will pass away within 5 years.  

He further explained that we were exposed to so much stress each and every day and then suddenly, we got

nothing to feed our daily stress.  It took me nearly a year training myself to relax and get off my butt and take

up old hobbies, like the sports we enjoyed in high school a looong time ago.

So take off your watch and go immediately into island time.  Hell.....sometimes, I don't even know the day of the

week because it's not important anymore.  Perhaps you could teach some of the SWAT tactics to the local PNP

while you're there.  It's nice to have a couple high ranking PNP officers to watch your back.....he, he.

In many ways, I really envy you Danny.  You're off to a new and exciting adventure!

Respectfully -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Danny,

I hope you and your family enjoy your trip and learn how to relax and enjoy life. In 2009 I retired at 60 years old. It was the best decision I had made in many years. I don't wear a watch and sometimes don't even know what day of the week it is. After you retire you will begin to learn what the important things in life are.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2