David Cameron's 'small Island' Tribute:

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24000421

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413595/David-Cameron-says-One-Direction-prove-Britain-conquer-world.html

'Small island? Britain has given the world The Beatles, Elgar and, er.... One Direction': Outraged Cameron hits back at Putin taunt with TWO bizarre outbursts defending 'this sceptered isle'

• Prime Minister says no other country has a 'prouder history or bigger heart'
  • UK leads the world in art, sport, music, philosophy and diplomacy, he says
  • Tribute likened to Hugh Grant's 'small country' speech in film Love Actually
  • Russia mocked the UK's size and boasted that oligarchs 'bought Chelsea'
  • Jibe sparked furious response from Britain at G20 summit in St Petersburg
  • Tory MP Henry Smith writes on Twitter: 'Putin really is a tosser'

his is the full text of David Cameron's first remarks about what makes Britain great:

'Britain may be a small island, but I would
challenge anyone to find a country with a prouder history, a bigger heart or greater resilience.

'Britain is an island that has helped to clear the European continent of fascism - and was resolute in doing that throughout World War Two.

'Britain is an island that helped to abolish slavery, that has invented most of the things worth inventing, including every sport currently played around the world, that still today is responsible for art, literature and music that delights the entire world.

'We are very proud of everything we do as a small island - a small island that has the sixth-largest economy, the fourth best-funded military, some of the most effective diplomats, the proudest history, one of the best records for art and literature and contribution to philosophy and world civilisation.

'For the people who live in Northern Ireland, I should say we are not just an island, we are a collection of islands. I don't want anyone in Shetland or Orkney to feel left out by this.

'I'm thinking of setting this to music.'

Then at the press conference in the afternoon he said:

'Something I believe very deeply is that yes, we are a small island. In fact a small group of islands.

'But I would challenge anyone to come up with a country with a prouder history, with a bigger heart, a greater resilience.

'This is a country cleared a European continent of fascism, that took slavery off the high seas.
We’re a country that invented many of the things that are most worthwhile, everything from the industrial revolution and television, the world wide web.

'Our music delights and amuses millions, The Beatles, Elgar and slightly less er... congruously, One Direction have conquered the world.

'We have invested most of the sports that the one world most likes playing.

'If I go on too long about our literature, our art, our philosophy, our contribution including of course the world’s language.'

Wow, yet another leader of a country, standing tall, saying what he believes, and not just spouting out what his political writers believe he should say!

A small island indeed! Well said Cameron,

Britain may have said and done things in the past not to be proud of, but they have and are still saying and doing things that they should stand up and be proud of.

Britain may no longer have the influence and power that they once had, but they can be proud of their history, a small island yes, but the saying,  "this vast empire on which the sun never sets, and whose bounds nature has not yet ascertained." 

It was a time when British World maps showed the Empire in red and pink to highlight British imperial power spanning the globe.

A small Island indeed! Compared to Russia, which is the largest geographical country (by land mass) in the world! 

It is also worth pointing out that the UK economy is significantly larger than Russia’s.

And what can Putin say about the Russian Empire?  "We wrestle bears"

Papa Carl

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
increased font size
  • Like 1