Foreign Owned Business?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If foreigners cannot own a business here then what is the story with Coke? Franchise?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Coke in the US provides the patented syrup and branding to a purchaser in Manila and has no further control or responsibility on their product.  I know this as I wrote to Coke in the US to complain.  Here is the word for word reply:

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. 

Although you may not be aware, our Company manufactures beverage syrups that are sold to a network of bottling companies in the United States and overseas.  These bottling companies are local businesses.  Consequently, this is a matter that would need to be handled by the Coca-Cola division office that serves your area. 

You may wish to contact the Company division office responsible for your area at:

Mailing Address:
Coca-Cola Far East Ltd.
Makati Central P.O. Box 2037
Makati City, Philippines

Tel: 63 2 811-2085
Fax: 63 2 815-4832

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Ok, kind if a franchise operation. Independant bottlers. Just wondering

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

i am not an expert but of what I seen on the "foreign" business, its NOT coca cola US

but coca cola Philippines,

like the poster said its a "franchise" not an actual US direct firm,

McDonalds (USA)  McDonalds (philippines)

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
kind if a franchise operation.

I don't get that impression.  A franchise ensures quality control.  All that seems to be happening here is that a local company buys the rights to the logo, bottles, syrup etc and then does what they want.  I say that because my complaint to Coke was directly related to quality control and as you can see by their reply, Coke don't give a damn.

So I see Coke in Philippines as no more a franchise than the grocery store that sells Kelloggs Corn Flakes.  Are they a franchise?  No.  They just buy the product and resell it.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
 They just buy the product and resell it.

With Coke, they add lots of water and sugar and then resell it.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Coca-Cola Corporation is an Atlanta based company. Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines is a local corporation, but Coca-Cola Corporation can own 40% interest and maintain absolute control as to image, brand, advertising, promotion, plant equipment, etc. At one time, Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines was owned and operated by the Khan family and a local Spanish-Filipino consortium. I don't know about current ownership, but the local bottling company is listed in the stock exchange.

The local master franchisee for McDonalds Corporation is George Yang and the name of his Philippine company is McGeorge Corporation. He has turned over management to his son. George has another lucrative venture as the master licensee in Asia for all Disney brands and images. He relocated to Singapore. George is a graduate of the Wharton School of Finance.   

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines is a local corporation

I am not sure what your source is or who that local corporation is.  My source is direct and quoted email to Coke in Atlanta:

Coca-Cola Far East Ltd. Makati Central P.O. Box 2037 Makati City, Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If foreigners cannot own a business here then what is the story with Coke? Franchise?

Foreigners CAN own business in RP.

/In most cases only max 40 %

/in a few types max 60 %

/but even 100 % owning, if at least 60% go to export.

(Above are WITHOUT "trix solutions", which some do, but I DON'T recomend, where foreigners pay lawyers and some Pinoys to only LOOK as owners of the "Pinoy part".

Plus there are Joint Venture types of partnerships between foreign and Pinoy companies, where they are "part owners" of a business venture, which can be done fully in RP.)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am not sure what your source is or who that local corporation is.  My source is direct and quoted email to Coke in Atlanta:

Name could have changed. Ownership could have changed. I don't follow the stock market outside the United States anymore. My wife and I are against the consumption of sugar water beverages like Coke & Pepsi although we own stocks in both parent companies. Heh! Business is business. Not my problem if others want to get fat and have rotten teeth.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1