The Crime In Criminology

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In the summer of 2008, more than 40,000 young men and women enrolled in criminology in all of RP. In October, 2012, 23,000 wrote the board exam of which 7,100 passed. My nephew's group of 20 or more, except for 5 that failed, all got 75%. How can that be? One can rewrite every 6 months at a cost. On the rewrite, the passing grade is 60%. To enroll, you don't need to do much more than to be able to fog a mirror. It is after the 4 years that the requirements come into play, like medical, dental, letters of reference, neurological, IQ, oath taking and more. They have to go to different cities, take a number and wait for 5 to 8 days for these tests. Of the 7,100 that passed the board exam, only 500 passed the neuro. One of his group, a woman, failed the medical because she is too short. She is the same height when she started. They want 700 new POs, so the offer came out that if you pay 50,000p, you will get a job. One needs letters from backers to get a job. One with the lowest mark but the best backer will get a job over someone with 90% mark and no backer or a low ranking backer. 

It seems that they take in far too many students with no intention of them ever finding work in that field. There are 400,000 unemployed nurses here and 16,200 more just graduated this month. It is outside money that pays for most of the students, either foreigners or OFWs. It keeps them busy and off the streets, but what a waste of time, money, and  a positive future. After 5 years, they end up with no work or something else like security, cashier or call center.

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The major problem is the degrees they get are worthless any where but the RP 

They need to bring the testing up to international standards because most degrees can be purchased 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup things are sure strange here in education .... my nephew is going to college and studying Mechanical Engineering ..... he is in his 3rd year and starting in January next year he has to take OJT and go to work for a company (the college has a list of companies that will except the students) these companies come to the school and give the students tests and then pick the highest grades to work for them .... they are paid a salary of between p315 to p375 for the lowest and p400 for the highest .... this is for 12 months .... if they want to leave the job after 6 months they can but they must go to another college to get their final degree .... to those that stick it out for the 12 months come back and finish their last year and upon graduation either the company that they worked for can hire them or the school will find them a job .... those that elect to go to another school have to find their own job upon graduation .... sure is different than in the US .... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

They need to bring the testing up to international standards because most degrees can be purchased 

Yes. A student WITH University exam in Business economy, now studying at Master level, managed to count percent !!! when I tested him. But only the simplest   :)  he failed to recount a 5-6 loan interest to percent per year.  Not odd there are many Pinoy businesses with bad result...  :unsure:

But such make me want my children to SKIP going to University, so I will not need to pay  such study   :mocking:

(I plan to let them "study by practice" in my company instead. If I haven't gone bakruptcy  :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Yes. A student WITH University exam in Business economy, now studying at Master level, managed to count percent !!! when I tested him. But only the simplest   :)  he failed to recount a 5-6 loan interest to percent per year.  Not odd there are many Pinoy businesses with bad result...  :unsure:

But such make me want my children to SKIP going to University, so I will not need to pay  such study   :mocking:

(I plan to let them "study by practice" in my company instead. If I haven't gone bakruptcy  :)

I have friend who is PhD (piled higher and deeper) in elementary education who couldn't even figure out the monthly interest for a 5-6 loan, much less the APR. I calculate APR as 792%. He guessed 1% as the monthly rate. The attitude here seems to be that math is too hard, so leave issues of mathematics up to the math priests, and don't be bothered by such things yourself.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Umm. 

From my own field - all except two training centres for seafarers pay kickbacks to the manning agencies who refer students to them (courses paid by the foreigne employers of course - of course in that situation everyone has to pass. Likewise every seaman pays for his job. In some cases the manager of the manning gency is not aware of this - but someone s trousering the money.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

In the summer of 2008, more than 40,000 young men and women enrolled in criminology in all of RP. In October, 2012, 23,000 wrote the board exam of which 7,100 passed. My nephew's group of 20 or more, except for 5 that failed, all got 75%. How can that be? One can rewrite every 6 months at a cost. On the rewrite, the passing grade is 60%. To enroll, you don't need to do much more than to be able to fog a mirror. It is after the 4 years that the requirements come into play, like medical, dental, letters of reference, neurological, IQ, oath taking and more. They have to go to different cities, take a number and wait for 5 to 8 days for these tests. Of the 7,100 that passed the board exam, only 500 passed the neuro. One of his group, a woman, failed the medical because she is too short. She is the same height when she started. They want 700 new POs, so the offer came out that if you pay 50,000p, you will get a job. One needs letters from backers to get a job. One with the lowest mark but the best backer will get a job over someone with 90% mark and no backer or a low ranking backer. 

It seems that they take in far too many students with no intention of them ever finding work in that field. There are 400,000 unemployed nurses here and 16,200 more just graduated this month. It is outside money that pays for most of the students, either foreigners or OFWs. It keeps them busy and off the streets, but what a waste of time, money, and  a positive future. After 5 years, they end up with no work or something else like security, cashier or call center.

Yes, that was K's experience when she took "criminology"...