Vigan

Genius
Posted
Posted

I hear vigan is a nice place to visit. Has anyone been?

is it best to get in via ilocos norte by air?

thanks!

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Another Philippines provincial town with a few Spanish colonial houses...take them a picture and WoW philippnes or the new slogan it's more fun in Philippines...that's about it...Go if you have nothing better to do or feeling too bored where ever you are.

• Like 2

starlet
Posted
Posted

[...}

Vigan! if i am to describe it - it is the best place to settle for good. Just see it for yourself and you will know what I meant. I wish to visit there again for a real vacation with my son.

I have a friend there who owns an apartelle, very cheap place but decent enough for a safe stay.we stayed there for a week just last August 2013 together with my officemates and we sure have a great time in Vigan.

Looks nice, Julia. Thanks for your tip. I will try to go there next time I visit Northern Luzon..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigan

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have not been to Vigan yet but it is on my list. From what I understand things to see and do are kind of spread out. So it is best if you have your own transportation. Either your own car, rental car or rent a car and driver for the day.

• Like 3

Genius
Posted
Posted

ahead thanks, Utah was the Spanish architecture that attracted me.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I went there earlier this year. About a 6-8 hour drive from Subic (depends on traffic). Saw all there was to see in about 3-4 hours. Architecture is nice, food was okay. So we went up to the Bangui Wind Farm (about 3 hours drive north of Vigan). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangui_Wind_Farm The highway in Illocos Norte was awesome! I will have to make the next trip on my bike.

• Like 3

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Vigan is also on my list, I have a niece that recently located there.

• 2 months later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

Vigan is nice but has gotten a bit crowded... but what isn't in the Philippines. Known for their 'sour' sausages and bagnet (deep fried pork).

When I went last June, we went by car from Manila. If you do drive, make sure to stop at S.O.U.L. Cafe in Rosario, La Union and be treated to the best local food. From there its another 5 hours to Vigan. Although, we spent overnight in San Fernando. La Union. About 6 hours from Manila.. Check out Thunderbird Resort in Poro Point (previous site of US Air Station). But I recommend a smallish native restaurant right on the water in Pagudpud, La union called Natalna Resort. Nothing fancy but great native food.

In downtown San Fernando, check out Taipan Chinese Restaurant in the market. Very good Chinese food. And La'mour Restaurant also near the market. Seems to be a place frequented by expats. You might bump in to one.

Next day proceeded to Vigan. About 1.5 hours.

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1