Lift-Vans

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used these for transporting goods to Phils and if so, how much could you squeeze in?

Lift-vans these massive wooden crates can not fit into a garage or a door. This type of crate can only be packed in a warehouse, because of its size. Lift-vans are for those people who want to move to the Philippines, but do not have enough for a whole container.

These are the following sizes we have available:

London to Manila - Door to Door

Size

Price

7FT X 4FT X 7FT

£1,200

7FT X 5FT X 7FT

£1,350

7FT X 6FT X 7FT

£1,500

Prices include Professional packing, delivery and unloading

I've seen slightly lower prices quoted elsewhere but none of them quoted door to door outside of London. 

Not 100% certain I'm making the move yet but rather gain as much knowledge as possible.

My wish list of things to take would require a 20ft container which is too expensive.  Plus items like kitchen appliances might not be appropriate anyway.

My largest item (3 seater sofa) is 7' 8ish, I also have a smaller 2 seater sofa.  My bed base can be flat-packed, I'd prefer to bring my own (double) mattress.  My fridge/freezer is around 5ft tall, I could probably fill it with bits & pieces, one of my PCs, pillows, sheets and towels for example.  Ideally I'd like to bring electric cooker, washing m/c and tumble dryer but perhaps not appropriate given the state of electrics and plumbing in some rentals?  At a push I'd leave them behind so long as I could squeeze in many BB boxes which include, stereos, speakers, PCs, monitors, TV, my ornament collection etc etc.

Ideally I'd need a lift-van slightly larger than quoted above to avoid packing at weird angles.  I've no idea how heavy everything would be, I believe there are weight restrictions.  There's no guarantee my final destination would be Manila so there would be further expense in Phils.  I don't think I want to go over £2k.

So anyone with experience with lift-vans?

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

I have had many moves of household items in lift vans, but too long ago to be helpful on costs.  It is not correct they can only be packed at a warehouse, though that is common.  In fact, the packing is typically done in the presence of the shipper (you) and it is more convenient to do so at origin.  I always had them packed at my residence.

They are not as secure as a shipping container used for international shipments.

From what I have researched, intra island shipping can be pretty costly unless you make many of the arrangements yourself (vehicle and ferry transport). 

When these sort of queries come up, there is the inevitable discussion/debate among expats about what is "best" to ship here.  I moved here permanently and brought pretty much everything in my household.  However, I did NOT bring large appliances and furniture.  The only furniture was a single corner cupboard I have always liked and would not be commonly available here.

Keep in mind, you are suggesting you would bring used appliances to a country with a dicey electrical system (brown outs, low voltages etc).  Are you sure this is what you want?  Many appliances available here are reasonably priced and can be serviced.

As to furniture, the same is true.  However, for high quality furniture you may have to buy it in the larger cities and ship it if you settle in a province.

I am assuming you have considered the customs costs unless your visa allows for a duty-free shipment.

When we first settled, we bought inexpensive bed frames and foam mattresses, plastic tables and chairs and cheap sofas and such. Over the years, we have gradually replaced these with better quality items.

• Like 3

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

To be fair I haven't figured in customs costs, guess I was rather hoping it'd be treated as a large BB box.  I guess that puts an end to any thought of risking shipping any of the larger electrical appliances, probably a good thing if I'm the only one who can use them :)

Would they go through all BB type boxes clearly marked 'household goods'?

Basically, if I do make the move, everything I don't take is either sold or given away (I can't even give a fully working cooker away at this moment in time).  I'd almost certainly want more than a few balikbayan boxes sent over, even with the various promos I've seen advertised  it comes to a tidy £amount.  Thankfully there's no immediate rush.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

I can't offer advice on the BB shipping rules etc. I doubt a large lift van would qualify as a duty free BB shipment. Just my opinion.

If you are coming here on a tourist visa, then the shipment you describe is likely subject to duties.

In my own case, I entered in a 13a visa and was allowed a one time shipment, duty free.

What you seem to be describing is just a shipment that would have to be cleared by customs and duties would have to be paid. I can only guess what the duties would be. If you claim they are only "household goods" then it would be questionable if you are only entering as a tourist.

There may be others with experience and have advice. I am just cautioning you.

• Like 2