Emergency Message For U.s. Citizens: Department Of State Worldwide Caution

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

dos_image.jpg

Emergency Message to U.S. Citizens
U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines
September 27, 2013

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES.  PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.  THANK YOU.

Updated Worldwide Caution

The U.S. Embassy wishes to advise all U.S. citizens that the Department of State issued an updated Worldwide Caution on September 25, 2013. 

The Department of State has issued this Worldwide Caution to update information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness. This replaces the Worldwide Caution dated February 19, 2013, to provide updated information on security threats and terrorist activities worldwide.

The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations, and other violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests overseas. Current information suggests that al-Qa’ida, its affiliated organizations, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics including suicide operations, assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings, and bombings.

The full text of the message can be found on the Department of State web site at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4787.html.  The message can also be found on the Embassy web site at http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha008.html.

The Embassy wishes to remind all U.S. citizens to remain vigilant and maintain an appropriate level of personal security in all circumstances by reviewing your personal safety plans; remaining aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitoring local news sources for updates. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Embassy is located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines and is open 0730-1600, Monday through Friday.  The Embassy's main telephone number is (632) 301-2000.  American citizens needing to speak to the Embassy can dial this number and ask to be connected to the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit or with the Embassy Duty Officer (for calls outside of normal business hours).  You can also contact the ACS unit through email at ACSInfoManila@state.gov or through the Embassy Facebook page.  Please visit our website for information on all services offered by the ACS unit.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens travelling to or residing in the Philippines enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) program.  Registering gives you access to updated information on travel and security within the Philippines and makes it easier for the Embassy to contact you in case of emergency.  If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly at the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate.

You can also stay up to date by bookmarking the Department of State's website, which contains all current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, as well as the current Worldwide Caution.  Please consult the Country Specific Information on the Philippines, for general information about the Philippines. For additional information, refer to "A Safe Trip Abroad" on the State Department's website.

Contact the U.S. Embassy for up-to-date information on travel restrictions.  Current information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries.  These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).  You can also stay up to date by "following" us on Twitter and "liking" the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Facebook.  You can also download our free Smart Traveler App, available through iTunes and the Android market, to have travel information at your fingertips.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The sky is falling....

The sky is falling....

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

well i for one decided in the 70 s that i wasn t going to let these terrorist decide if i wanted to go somewhere, i go where i want and when i please. but that don t mean that i don t stay alert and ready to react quickly

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

well i for one decided in the 70 s that i wasn t going to let these terrorist decide if i wanted to go somewhere, i go where i want and when i please. but that don t mean that i don t stay alert and ready to react quickly

Terrorists in the 70's?? Those were hippies!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Oops I did not see this earlier.  I made my own thread about it.

They put out a lot of stupid warnings but is the funniest yet.  Doesn't it read like a horoscope?  someone, somewhere, might try to kill you, somehow...

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

like i said that don t mean i ll not be alert and ready, i know what their capable of doing, their using terror to restrict us, its not going to stop me from going to the philipines, i don t have any reason to go to mindanao. i hate bullies and am not live in fear of them.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

like i said that don t mean i ll not be alert and ready, i know what their capable of doing, their using terror to restrict us, its not going to stop me from going to the philipines, i don t have any reason to go to mindanao. i hate bullies and am not live in fear of them.

I believe you said you live in BOHOL now.  I was wondering if there any issues with the peace and order situation there?

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

well i was in bohol for 4 days when i was here in april, but i had to come back home and take care of things

but when i come back it will be in cebu.island

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Situation normal, be careful, use common sense.