Which Server Is My Computer Connect To?

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm using Globe DSL on Cebu island with a Tattoo wireless modem.

Is there a way to know which server my computer is connected to?

How does a computer know which server to connect to when there are several servers available?

And, can we tell our computer which server to use?

The reason I asked these questions is, when I do a speed test using speedtest.net my download speed varies greatly depending on which server it connects to. The speed test varies by as much as 1mbps up or down with a max speed of 3mbps.  The test says it selects the server based on the fastest ping speed which you would think also has the fastest download speed but is not always true based on my observation of doing several tests and selecting the option "select new server"  Ping is based on a fraction of a second were as download speed is an average speed over a certain length of time.

I'm not a computer guy so I may be wrong but this is the way it seems to me. And, its also why I'm posting my questions on this forum where there are many who know a lot more about computers than me.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have not time just now to explain this but will say that when you are using speedtest, the servers are not from your network provider such as globe but rather volunteer host that set up servers to test your speed.  http://www.speedtest.net/host.php

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

56 views but only one reply in over 24 hours makes me think that very few people know the answers to my questions which I believe are very important when you are concerned with your Internet speed which is usually an issue in the Philippines.

If what Boss Man says is true then doing a speed test using speedtest.net is almost useless when try to determine your Internet speed since your computer will be connected to a different server, so why does Globe technicians use speedtest.net to prove their Internet connection is working properly if the server used in the test is not the server your computer is connected to in normal operation?

By the way, today I used speedtest.net to connect to a server with a speed of 2.96mbps download and another server that was only 0.24mbps, but since my computer is probably not connected to any of those servers then that information is useless.

Can anyone answer my three questions in post #1?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I'm using Globe DSL on Cebu island with a Tattoo wireless modem.   Is there a way to know which server my computer is connected to?

When you connect to the internet you are not "connecting" to one server. You are sending and receiving data in the form of packets which pass from router to router, some internal to your ISP, some external until it reaches the destination anywhere in the world. You initially query a single Domain Name Server (DNS) which translates the web site name to a routable IP address, then it is routed to and through various routers, gateways, hubs, switches, etc. to the destination address.

How does a computer know which server to connect to when there are several servers available?

Routing tables determine the best route.

If you use a proxy server or VPN.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

56 views but only one reply in over 24 hours makes me think that very few people know the answers to my questions which I believe are very important when you are concerned with your Internet speed which is usually an issue in the Philippines.

If what Boss Man says is true then doing a speed test using speedtest.net is almost useless when try to determine your Internet speed since your computer will be connected to a different server, so why does Globe technicians use speedtest.net to prove their Internet connection is working properly if the server used in the test is not the server your computer is connected to in normal operation?

By the way, today I used speedtest.net to connect to a server with a speed of 2.96mbps download and another server that was only 0.24mbps, but since my computer is probably not connected to any of those servers then that information is useless.

Can anyone answer my three questions in post #1?

The problem is that there are no simple one or two line answers to your questions. You admit you are not a computer guy, to answer your questions almost requires a class in computer networks 101. But I will try.

SpeedTest.net is a very simplistic test. Pretty much just says yeah its working or no it isn't. SpeedTest requires connection to a computer server to perform the test.  That SpeedTest.net server is usually totally unrelated to your Internet Service Provider.

Your internet connection does not connect to a "server". First it connects to your ISP via Cable TV internet, Phone DSL or wireless. That first connection determines the maximum speed you can get. From there it goes to a network router. Based on what website you want to visit the router, as its name implies, routes your request towards the appropriate network. Rarely is there a direct connection from one router to the final router, usually the network traffic has to get sent through a number of routers, these are call "hops". Your request can transverse dozens of routers (hops). The speed that your request is handled is based on the slowest of those networks which bottlenecks how fast your request can be handled. If your network connection to your ISP is the same, the first router you see will likely be the same. Except for wireless, where if you move locations and get a different cell, you likely will hit a different router and network.

Hope that helps.

• Like 4

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Are you using a laptop to connect to the Wireless Globe Tattoo Modem? Is that where you are seeing multiple servers through the wireless setup?

Is this what you are using?

http://tattoo.globe.com.ph/dsl.html#details

Damn, spent over an hour on this typing and the deleting back and forth just to realize I needed more information to really answer your question!

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Is there a way to know which server my computer is connected to?

The reason I asked these questions is, when I do a speed test using speedtest.net my download speed varies greatly depending on which server it connects to. The speed test varies by as much as 1mbps up or down with a max speed of 3mbps.  The test says it selects the server based on the fastest ping speed which you would think also has the fastest download speed but is not always true based on my observation of doing several tests and selecting the option "select new server"  Ping is based on a fraction of a second were as download speed is an average speed over a certain length of time.

I'm not a computer guy so I may be wrong but this is the way it seems to me. And, its also why I'm posting my questions on this forum where there are many who know a lot more about computers than me.

Your question is conflicting.... 

If you are using DSL then you are using a phone line hard wired into your house.

If you are using a Globe Tattoo wireless modem, you are using the GSM telephone network.

Both are independent paths to your Internet provider and are redundant.

On your checking your throughput speeds, to add on from earthdome and not get too geeky, depending on where your destination is determines the path and bandwidth throughput. So you could be running 1MB-3MB within the Philippines as long as you and your destination test address are within the same provider. When you select a different destination outside of your provider it could drop down to only as high as 768KB. 

For example; I have 3MB within Luzon for my house (what is advertised by the internet provider). But typically whenever I connect to the states my throughput is never above 768KB. This is due to the connections that run between the PI and the US. You are also competing with the rest of the country for that bandwidth.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Thanks, MikeB, Earthdome, and jon1 for the explanations. Very good information.

Americano
Posted
Posted

My Modem, which Globe provided, is hard wired to a phone type wire but I don't have a phone.  The Modem has a small antenna which transmits the signal to my computers.  This is why I said I have DSL and a wireless modem. DSL coming in to the Modem and wireless going out to the computers.

Thanks for everyone's reply's  I have a better understanding of how the Internet works now. Looks like speed test results have very little to do with your actual Internet speed. It just shows that you have Internet access and your computer is working.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
So you could be running 1MB-3MB within the Philippines as long as you and your destination test address are within the same provider. When you select a different destination outside of your provider it could drop down to only as high as 768KB. 

This is what I was trying to explain but at the time did not have the time. Using speedtest.com it says something like choose another server so you will get a different result say if you first checked with the closest server from speedtest based on your PING which might be in Cebu if thats where you are located and then checked again with another that was located in Manila then there will be different results.

• Like 1