Renting In Sabang/puerto Galera Area?

acf245
Posted
Posted

Hi everybody! First time post, here. I'm very excited to be moving to the Philippines, arriving Dec. 9, and am narrowing down Sabang as a place I want to live for a year. I'm wondering if anyone has any friends or contacts there or suggestions beyond waiting till I get there to find an apartment/condo to rent. Are there any good websites for finding apartments for rent? Im having trouble finding useful info with google searches. Ideally I would like a two bedroom place so I can setup my home office there (I'm one of those telemarketers that tries to sell you magazines that everyone loves so much (but really a hippie backpacker at heart, so it works out well)). Is it feasible to find a decent (to western standard) place for around P17,000 a month? The closer to the beach the better, but I'm fine with a 20 minute walk, too.

Also, anyone have a dive place they would recommend for learning how to dive / getting the proper certifications?

Cheers, looking forward to living the dream out there with you guys!

-Adrian

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Hi Adrian

Honestly your best bet is to go to sabang for a month and negotiate for a place to stay for a month while you look for perm place for the year honestly there really isnt much advertised online but signs posted all over sabang for places to rent  ( im assuming you mean sabang Puerto galera ?? ) most of the resorts there have 2 prices the weekday rate and weekend but im pretty sure if you get it for the month they wont jack ur rate up coz you have paid for the month already ! theres allot of resorts that have kitchens and everything you need around eddies restaurant if you havent been to sabang just ask anyone they will know where it is sabang isnt that big !!! and walk from resort to resort to find what you like ! this i think would be a good base to start out with until you find what your looking for !!! most of the resorts there are a little old in sabang but still acceptable for the short term until you find a place to stay long term , not sure of the monthly rates there might be cutting it close too your 17k budget ( at a resort anyway coz im sure that would include electric and a/c) as for learning to dive that wont be a problem almost all the resorts no matter how many stars they are have dive shops and top notch local or international instructors , me i dont dive but i stay at Big Apple Resort when im there and they have the rates posted on there website just google them ( big Apple Resort Sabang ) you shouldnt have a problem finding them and the bar is open 24 hours , i wouldnt recommend staying there long term coz no kitchens and the food is a bit expensive there most people eat at eddies ( always Busy & great food ) fresh sea food to me seems hard to find in sabang allot more in white Beach then sabang but it is there just not as much as white beach !! if your looking to be close to the beach Honestly there isnt much of a beach in sabang , la laguna  is a better beach but sabang itself isnt really much there ! and yes you can walk to la laguna i would also recommend getting a motorbike for the month but shop around coz the guys holding the cards advertising bikes for rent may not do monthly rentals and if they do will over charge u ( maybe find a trusted waitress if she knows somebody who wants to rent there bike out for a month ) if i think of any more info i will let you know hope this is a good start for you take care...

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am not familiar with Sabang at all.  But I know that in Cebu and Iloilo (the places I looked at) there is almost nothing good online for real estate.  What little there is will be aimed at foreigners with more money than brains.  Once you get boots on the ground you can look around at see the neighborhoods.  Pick one you like, and find something for rent.  Sulit.com has some good ads, but if you do not know the area very well you can get stuck somewhere you don't like.  ... you want to end up next to a karaoke bar?

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Very good post OldUgly&Cranky, and I agree with most of what you had to say about the area. Having stayed in PG, Sabang, White Beach and Aninuan Beach, many times and on our last trip for over 3 months, your suggestion for renting by the month is excellent.

Closer to White Beach and Aninuan Beach there are quite a few places to rent long term, but to be honest, most of the resorts will also rent you rooms, which kitchen etc. and you still get the service, and you will pay considerably less than 17,000 pesos.

Best to ask around once you are there, a good number of expats living in the area hang out at a bar in Sabang, by the market, can't think of the name at the moment but will go through my notes and see if I can find it along with the people I met there. If I find them, I will PM them to you acf245.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

acf245
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses, all! I realize after reading the responses that I was mostly looking for a pat on the back and a "yes, you can do it" to make me feel better about my raher impetuous decision to buy a one way ticket haha (yes, I got a ticket out to malaysia, too, so I can get into the country). DEFINITELY can't end up next to a karaoke bar haha...nothing worse than being in the middle of a pitch and having a customer be like "what is going on in the background??" Haha.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk now Free

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses, all! I realize after reading the responses that I was mostly looking for a pat on the back and a "yes, you can do it" to make me feel better about my raher impetuous decision to buy a one way ticket haha (yes, I got a ticket out to malaysia, too, so I can get into the country). DEFINITELY can't end up next to a karaoke bar haha...nothing worse than being in the middle of a pitch and having a customer be like "what is going on in the background??" Haha.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk now Free

If you also check the Cebu CraigsList, you will find a lot of listings there as well.

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Prices on Cebu craigslist are waaaay to high. One of the easiest ways I have found to find rentals is just got to the guard shack at the subdivisions and let them know youre looking. They either let you to look or more likely call someone to show you the rentals available. Just remember the person that shows you is probably a middle man and will try and add to the price , always try and negotiate with the owners.

• Like 2