Posted
Posted

Restaurants I have enjoyed in Manila:

Mese in Tomas Morato QC

Dulcinea

Via Mare

Razon

Abe

These are restarants that serve Filipino food. I do not bother with other cuisine as I can always go Italian or whatever in the US

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

While all large cities offer a wide selection of international dishes and cuisine, a good strategy is to dine on local food. Not only is this part of the cultural experience, but oftentimes the prices are lower. Restaurants offering cuisine from other nations will use the excuse that ingredients have to be "imported" and this implies having to charge more. 

The truth is most international dishes are modified for local taste. I was invited by friends to a pizza parlor in Japan and octopus was one of the toppings. A Chinese restaurant in Germany offered bread rolls as a substitute for rice. What rice they served looked more like breakfast porridge. A restaurant in the Philippines serving hamburgers used grounded pork. When I asked the manager, he explained Filipinos prefer pork more than beef.

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Well if you are up this way, you should try some of the following eateries here in Pampanga,

I have not as yet tried them all, but some for sure, along with a few that are not listed here.

http://tadonggeniuskuno.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/ang-pinaka-yummy-sa-pampanga/

Papa Carl

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We may stay at the Dewey Medical & Health Center, Subic Bay for a few days during our month long trip to the Philippines this coming January. It might be fun to try several Pampanga restaurants mentioned in the blog. My wife is very strict about her diet. That includes Philippine staples like rice, beef and pork. Our plan is bring a separate suitcase packed with the goodies she likes. 

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

If we ever visit Pampanga, we will be sure to make our way to some of the places mentioned! 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The one sit down resteraunt in Socorro, Mindoro geta a thumbs down. The food from the street vendors is better. :)

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

We may stay at the Dewey Medical & Health Center, Subic Bay for a few days during our month long trip to the Philippines this coming January. It might be fun to try several Pampanga restaurants mentioned in the blog. My wife is very strict about her diet. That includes Philippine staples like rice, beef and pork. Our plan is bring a separate suitcase packed with the goodies she likes. 

JJ, be sure to let me know when you are here, I would drive up to Subic so we can meet, and I can bring my wife and daughter, maybe make it a two day thing so I can take them to the beach etc.

Papa Carl

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks Papa Carl. I will PM when my wife and I have our Philippine schedule confirmed. 

We have one granddaughter in San Diego who is now six. She is the joy of our life. There are also four grandnephews ages five to eleven. During our September trip to California, we took them to their favorite restaurant, Chuck E. Cheese. The bill was $65 for one tiny pizza the size, thickness and taste of a cardboard box, four lemonades and tokens for the games. Not exactly my cup of tea, but that is what the four boys wanted.