Extension Of Visa?/dear Pao Article

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is a article from Dear PAO

that one expat has a question about the extension of his visa and what is his recourse to stay longer

......................................................................................................... BID chief’s permission needed for alien’s extension of stay

Dear PAO,
I am a British who fell in love with a wonderful Filipina.

We are living together in Pampanga with her daughter. Upon extension of my tourist visa at the main office of the Bureau of Immigration,

I was informed that I have to exit the Philippines because I have reached the maximum allowable period of extensions. I don’t want to leave the Philippines because I consider this my home. What should I do to stay longer in the Philippines?

I could not apply for a spouse visa because my partner is still married to the father of her child. Is it possible that I apply for a fiancé visa?

K. Williams

Dear K. Williams,
Foreigners holding temporary visitor’s visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940

and aliens admitted under Executive Order (E.O.) No. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines for a total stay of 16 months.

A foreigner who seeks to extend his tourist visa beyond the 16-month limit should first seek the approval of the Commissioner (Memoran–dum Order No. RADJR-2013-007 or the “Implementation of the Long-Stay Visitor Visa Extension [LSVVE]”)

. Based from the fore–going, you should abide with the order of the officer of the Bureau of Immigration since, as stated, you have already reached the maximum allowable period for tourist visa extension.

However, you may ask the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration for reconsideration to extend your visa.

The approval of the Com-missioner is necessary before extensions can be made.

Since your intention is to stay permanently in the Philippines, which you consider your home, it is better if your secure a permanent visa. One of the permanent visas available to foreign national is that given to foreign nationals who are married to a Filipino under Section 13(a) of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940.

Unfortunately, this kind of permanent visa cannot be applied by your fiancée for you because you are not yet married and the said marriage is not possible as of the moment because, according to you, she is still married.

Our country has no fiancé visa but there are other permanent visas which you may apply, to wit: quota immigrant visa; Special Visa Employment Generation (SVEG); and Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV).

However, this kind of visas requires from you a certain amount of investment in the Philippines before it may be granted, such as the required bank certification of inward remittance amounting to at least US $50,000.00 or its equivalent in foreign currency for applicants of quota visa. On the other hand, if it is really your desire to marry your Filipina partner, you may suggest for the filing of annulment or declaration of nullity of her marriage with the father of her child.

When annulled or their marriage is declared as null and void, you may now marry her and she may petition you to have a permanent visa in the Philippines.

Please be reminded that the above legal opinion is solely based on our appreciation of the problem that you have stated. The opinion may vary when other facts are stated.\

http://manilatimes.net/bid-chiefs-permission-needed-for-aliens-extension-of-stay/46145/

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

That guy wants to be very careful or he might find himself in prison for adultery

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup .... me thinks he has more to worry about than extending his visa ..... I thought all he would need to do is visit another country and then start his tourist visa all over again ..... no big deal .... but the other problem of her being married now that could be a big deal ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

That guy wants to be very careful or he might find himself in prison for adultery

I am very surprised that Pao did not mention that aspect at all.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

you may ask the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration for reconsideration to extend your visa. The approval of the Com-missioner is necessary before extensions can be made.

How does one go about  this, Can it be done at a field office??

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

you may ask the Commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration for reconsideration to extend your visa. The approval of the Com-missioner is necessary before extensions can be made.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=207&Itemid=80

Some have said before the extra extension to 24 months is not really worth the trouble unless you have a really good reason, like a medical condition.

brock
Posted
Posted

I believe it can only be done direct to the commissioner, But why bother, Just leave the country for a day and start again

• Like 1