7.3 Hits Japan

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

TOKYO –  An earthquake of magnitude 7.3 struck early Saturday morning off Japan's east coast, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Japan's emergency agencies declared a tsunami warning for the region that includes the crippled Fukushima nuclear site.

Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a  3-foot tsunami warning for a long stretch of Japan's northeastern coast. It put the magnitude of the quake at 7.1. The U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not post warnings for the rest of the Pacific.

There were no immediate reports of damage on land. Japanese television images of harbors showed calm waters.

The quake hit at 2:10 a.m. Saturday Tokyo time about 170 miles off Fukushima. Japanese broadcaster NHK reported that Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of the Fukushima plant, ordered workers near the coast to move to higher ground. Japanese news service Kyodo said there were no signs of trouble at the plant.

The tremor was felt in Tokyo, some 300 miles away.

All but two of Japan's 50 reactors have been offline since the March 2011 magnitude-9.0 earthquake and ensuing tsunami triggered multiple meltdowns and massive radiation leaks at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, about 160 miles northeast of Tokyo. About 19,000 people were killed.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you Dan for the news alert.  I may sound unsympathetic but it's the law of Mother Nature.

What's so tragic about these natural calamities is the fact that more and more areas are being

populated, especially around the Pacific Ring of Fire.  Which I might add that Philippines is well

within those major tectonic activities. 

We should all be prepare for any natural or man made calamities.....starting with a bug out bag

and escape route(s) to either high ground or to the nearest consulate or embassy.  

Stay safe guys -- typhoon season is not over yet.

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I can not imagine the extent of the damage and loss of life, if such an earth quake hit close to Manila. Building codes here may be closer to those in Bangladesh, or India as apposed to Japan.

There are those who say it is inevitable, and will happen sooner or later...., a scary thought.

Once when living on the 37th floor of CityLand in Makati, Ellie and I felt an earthquake, thankfully it was not close and was not severe, however it did prompt me to never again live in a high rise in Manila!

papa carl

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Once when living on the 37th floor

Although the 'topic' earthquake does not seem to have caused damage, I wonder how many people have died of heart attacks or otherwise scared to death when being on the 37th floor during a quake.

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

You know Dave, although I could have slept through the event, had it not been for Ellie waking me up, so no heart attack, it did make an impression on me. 

It was because I had seen a crane fall over in Manila, and it made me think. That and the fact that Cityland were building a new building beside ours, and we watched it grow. When the Typhoon struck we took pictures of the rods that we exposed and how the typhoon had bent them severely, and yet, once the wind had died down, up these guys went again, on the 34th floor, hanging on to the rods, that were the equivalent of 2 or 3 stories, poking out of the top on the 34th floor. No safety lines or anything, and you know how the bent them back again before continuing to build?

The swung on them! Back and forth, until they were relatively straight again!

That, almost gave me a heart attack, and not long after, ..... we moved!

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I have added the pictures in the gallery of the pylons, and rods that the workers were working on, and how the bent during the Typhoon of 2008, this building is now finished, and people are living in the top floor!

This is one of the reasons we moved out!

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Did they build it kinda like this ...... pile driving in Thailand .... :hystery: :hystery:  .... kinda a catchy tune ...  even made me want to jump up and down .... yea ... right ..... :dance: ....... sorry for the slooooooooooooooooow download ... if someone can fix it please do ..... :thumbsup:

pile-driving-in-thailand.mp4

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3