Abandoning The Green Card

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I have read in several posts and elsewhere that when 1 brings over his/her spouse

that after a period of time he/she obtains 1's GREEN CARD.

which is the path to long term residency and citizenship,,

but what i dont understand , is that one goes thru all this time.effort and $$.

only to abandon  this.

could some of our members who have done this or about to do this ,Explain?

so that I/others can be aware of either the benefits or possible pitfalls of this action.

I ask,, as i was a resident in Spain, on the path to "both permanent residency and citizenship"

only to come to the RP and lose what i had slowly accomplished.(why?  in my case it was love)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Our Honolulu real estate practice includes several very wealthy individuals who had greencards (permanent residency status) which they abandoned. One reason for returning the greencard is US residents are taxed on their worldwide income just like US citizens. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Our Honolulu real estate practice includes several very wealthy individuals who had greencards (permanent residency status) which they abandoned. One reason for returning the greencard is US residents are taxed on their worldwide income just like US citizens. 

Oops, I did not know that; was living in Portland Oregon for a while after I left the Aust navy, on a green card with a navy pension lol.