Recently Returned From Balikbayan Run To Malaysia

johnb
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to mention an odd request that I received on checking in at the LCCT Kuala lumpur, My wife and I were returning to Cebu, i had various documents with me as i wanted to ask for a BB stamp on landing in Manila. On check in with Cebu pacific I was asked for a copy of my marriage certificate, I Wasn't asked for any onward ticket, nor if i was hoping to get a BB stamp, nor how long i would be staying in the Philippines, simply a copy of my marriage cert, I had expected that immigration may ask me for the cert  when I entered the Philippines and requested a BB stamp so i did have a copy as i did of my onward ticket for Feb 2014, anyway all went well boarded fine and was issued a BB stamp, however I cant grasp why my marriage cert was needed at airport check in, the only thing that may have prompted this is there lack of understanding of the Balikbayan stamp rules, The BB stamp is a privilege and can be refused [ it has happened to me once 5 years ago], perhaps they believed that as a married couple we would automatically be given a BB stamp hence no questions regards visa or onward ticket, I should add the Cebu pacific check-in staff were Malaysian so possibly confused with the various visa's available in the Philippines. I also wonder what would have happened if i hadn't had a copy of the Marriage cert with me.

John

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I also wonder what would have happened if i hadn't had a copy of the Marriage cert with me.

Probably would have provided a marriage celebrant to issue a new one.  :lol:  Yes sure does seem like a situation of not understanding the rules.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We always have our marriage certificate with us at time of arrival.  We always get asked for it, and upon producing it, get a 1-year stamp without having to request it.

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

We always have our marriage certificate with us at time of arrival.  We always get asked for it, and upon producing it, get a 1-year stamp without having to request it.

It wasn't Philippine immigration that asked to see the marriage cert it, it was the Cebu pacific check in staff in Malaysia, my dealings with Philippine Immigration went smoothly and no documentation was requested [ even though I did have all the documentation ready]

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I would expect PI immigration to ask for it... but at check in?  Seems odd.  They are probably easily confused (I had to argue about my exit ticket not having to be a return to US ticket, in Dallas)

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
It wasn't Philippine immigration that asked to see the marriage cert it, it was the Cebu pacific check in staff in Malaysia, my dealings with Philippine Immigration went smoothly and no documentation was requested [ even though I did have all the documentation ready]

Ahh...got it!  We're bound for the Philippines on Friday.  Who knows, the PAL check in staff at Pearson might ask for our marriage certificate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I would expect PI immigration to ask for it... but at check in?  Seems odd.  They are probably easily confused (I had to argue about my exit ticket not having to be a return to US ticket, in Dallas)

Had the same thing on my last visit with Singapore Airlines staff in Brisbane.  Very odd considering my onward flight from Singapore was with Tiger.  Oh well, made it through anyway.  I was visiting friends in Hong Kong, then Vietnam afterwards so the itinerary was quite long. 

Edited by BrettGC

jon1
Posted
Posted

Had the same thing on my last visit with Singapore Airlines staff in Brisbane.  Very odd considering my onward flight from Singapore was with Tiger.  Oh well, made it through anyway.  I was visiting friends in Hong Kong, then Vietnam afterwards so the itinerary was quite long. 

I ran into a similar situation coming in via Seoul on Asiana Airlines to Clark. The Asiana staff was confused about my follow on ticket to HK. The wanted to know where I was going from there. I told them that it was not their concern. That the requirements for entry was just a follow on ticket. It took me about 15 minutes of arguing with them and a Manager intervening to resolve it... 

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted (edited)

Airlines must be getting stuck with sending people back to their port of origin when something goes wrong at Philippine Immigration. I remember reading some where that Philippines also fines the airlines if paperwork in not in order with passengers. Its all about the money as usual.

When my wife got her dual citizenship the counselor official even emphasized having that return ticket available to show immigration and carry a copy of the marriage certificate and dual citizenship certificate. More paperwork to carry around and loose later......

Edited by FlyAway