Paf Submits Plan For Transfer Of 7 Units From Clark

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Just a follow up on how things are changing here in Clark, and the proposed move by some of the PAF to Subic.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2013/11/06/1253358/paf-submits-plan-transfer-7-units-clark

CLARK FREEPORT, Pampanga, Philippines - – The Philippine Air Force (PAF) has submitted to the Department of National Defense (DND) a detailed plan on the transfer of seven of its major units from this freeport to other areas.

PAF spokesperson Lt. Col. Miguel Okol told The STAR that it is up to higher authorities to approve the plan and release the funds for the transfer.

“We are giving way to progress and development of Clark, but without compromising  national security,” Okol said adding the approval of the transfer plan rests with the DND and the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA).

He said the transfer would start as soon as the plan is approved and funds are released. He said the timetable for the transfer would depend on the approval date of the plan and on the release of funds.

Over 300 hectares of this freeport was allocated for the PAF after the US Air Force left its base here in 1991.

The allocation is based on an agreement between the DND and the BCDA, which owns the lands within the former US military base.

The state firm Clark Development Corp. (CDC), the implementing arm of the BCDA, earlier admitted it is running out of lands for lease to investors, which prompted some sectors to call for the removal of the PAF units here.

The PAF area, dubbed Air Force City, is under the 600th Air Base Wing but it also hosts the 1st Air Division, the 410th Maintenance Wing, the 420th Supply Wing, the 710th Special Operations Wing, the Air Force Logistics Command and the Air Force Reserve Command.

“These major units will be moved to other places, such as in Subic with the consent of the BCDA and Basa which is already ours. But some others will be moved to Fernando Air Base in Lipa and even our headquarters in Villamor,” Okol said.

Okol could not yet say the cost of the transfer but he assured families of the PAF personnel here that no movement would be done until all the infrastructure in their destinations are ready.

Hundreds of houses built by Americans within the PAF area here serve as homes for dependents of PAF personnel.

Earlier, BCDA president Arnel Casanova said the transfer of the PAF would free up more land for lease to investors.

Casanova said the BCDA has invested P33.8 billion in Central Luzon to create opportunities for investment and employment in the region.

Of the P33.8 billion, P30.68 billion was used for the construction of the 94-kilometer Subic Clark Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) that connects the Subic Bay Freeport Zone and the Clark Freeport.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Of the P33.8 billion, P30.68 billion was used for the construction of the 94-kilometer Subic Clark Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) that connects the Subic Bay Freeport Zone and the Clark Freeport.

Best thing they ever did... I remember the old goat track, 4 hour drive on a good day.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Best thing they ever did... I remember the old goat track, 4 hour drive on a good day.

What's with you and goats anyway?  Are you tracking them on a moonless night in the southern slope of Mt Pinatubo

for some remote and quiet privacy?  

The transfer of military assets, support units and then finally, all the personnel should be within their military guidelines

for quick and safe transfer but I believe political influences will impede that process.  This movement to a more forward

deployed location is currently being implemented due to the territorial issues around Spratly Islands.  

In my opinion, the Philippine Air Force seems to be the bastard child among the other branches.  I've read too many

horror stories about the general state of readiness.  It would be nice if the US can give away a dozen P-3C long range

patrol aircraft, each can be armed (harpoons) if necessary.  Forget about those fancy fighter jets made in south Korea.

We can even convert a couple of those P-3C's into storm chasers for more accurate forecast and real time alerts.

Just sayin'........ 

• Like 4

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I used to live in Sunnyvale, CA back when Moffett Field NAS was still active.  I was about a mile off the south end of the runway.  They were still flying P-3 sub chasers out of there back then.  I'll bet they're all mothballed in AZ now.  Might as well put them to use somewhere and get some goodwill out of the deal to boot.

• Like 1