Sky Cable Now Offers Cable Internet In Many Places In Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Sky Cable now offers Cable Internet in many places in CebuI am not impressed with their prices or their speeds for those prices. My wife and I went to the office yesterday to inquire and while it is not available to me in our building yet, I do not know why I would want it anyway. Plan 128kbps you have to pay p1000 cable modem deposit and then p499 for monthly subscriptionPlan 384kbps same deposit p1000, and you pay p799 a monthPlan 768kbps same deposit and you pay p1199 per monthPlan 1 mbps same deposit and you pay p1499 a monthI really do not see any benefit to having a cable Internet, maybe I am missing something, but we pay p1650 a month for 1 mbps of service and that includes a local phone line and phone and I know they offer other slower services without the phone line for p999 or less, so what advantage would the cable service gain for anyone? I guess it is just another option for those who are unhappy with the service they are already getting?

Mik
Posted
Posted

I miss the super fast and reliable Comcast cable internet we had back in the US. Maybe someday it will get better here.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Sky Cable now offers Cable Internet in many places in CebuI am not impressed with their prices or their speeds for those prices. My wife and I went to the office yesterday to inquire and while it is not available to me in our building yet, I do not know why I would want it anyway. Plan 128kbps you have to pay p1000 cable modem deposit and then p499 for monthly subscriptionPlan 384kbps same deposit p1000, and you pay p799 a monthPlan 768kbps same deposit and you pay p1199 per monthPlan 1 mbps same deposit and you pay p1499 a monthI really do not see any benefit to having a cable Internet, maybe I am missing something, but we pay p1650 a month for 1 mbps of service and that includes a local phone line and phone and I know they offer other slower services without the phone line for p999 or less, so what advantage would the cable service gain for anyone? I guess it is just another option for those who are unhappy with the service they are already getting?
I think you'll find all those prices include their TV package as well.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
With DSL, the speed drops the further away you are from the center of the network. I don't know if that's a problem in Cebu, but the distance definitely affects DSL quality for me here in Baguio. Distance doesn't matter with a cable system.I would go with cable over DSL if it were available in my area. Of course, I can't even get Sky cable at my place. Their nearest pole is a couple hundred yards away and they won't install at my house.The rates for the 1 mpbps plan are 300 p lower than what I'm paying for my DSL. I'd rather save the 300 p and ditch the landline. With mobiles as prevalent as they are, who needs a landline?

• 4 months later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

you can get one of those PLDT landline (mobiles??) we have as it costs P600 a month but all local calls are free and does exactly the same as a mobile phone..What is the up speed on the cable as its likely faster than the DSL. Im looking at it for my netcafe at the moment to see which is the best way forward.. Its a bit spoilt for me at the moment as im at my parents with 2 x 13mb connections. So back in Cebu will have to get a coffee machine to compensate for load time..lol