Which One Of You Was On Sctex Today?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We were on our way back from Angeles City today, on SCTEX, and I saw car approaching fast from behind.  I was going 100 kph and he must have been doing close to 200 kph.  He passed and quickly pulled over to a new roadside CR, so I guess he had an urgent need.  The new CR is not opened yet, so I saw him headed to the porta potty in my rear view mirror.  I think he was Asian but I didn't get a great look.

I knew he would be coming again, and I was watching for him.  Again he zoomed by.  I actually got a quick video, but my internet is so slow I can't upload videos.

I knew what the car make was but was not sure of the model.  It was silverish and now I think it was this, based on the lip on the trunk/boot:

http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/library/photography/wraith/

Jake, if that was you, I'm ready to party on your yacht in Subic harbor!

Scary car to drive in the Philippines!  Do you think the trikes, jeeps and pedestrians will give you more room or deliberately make you run them over?  I have a picture in my mind of pedestrians diving in front of the car, on a crosswalk.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Last time we went to Subic Bay, our driver was caught for speeding. We were stopped at the toll booth. Proof of speeding came from a traffic camera. The difficulty of being ticketed is the police confiscates your driver's license. He would have to personally show up to pay the fine and retrieve the license.

At the conference in Los Angeles, the Department of Tourism proudly showed how the Philippines has progressed. Their video presentation heralded the arrival of luxury auto dealers including for Ferrari and Rolls Royce. It was emphasized three times in the video as proof of economic progress! The group at our table felt embarrassed and stupid because 75% of the population is still at the poverty level. The timing was also terrible. The next presentation was an appeal to help typhoon victims. The images were from Typhoon Pablo. Apparently, 90% of the victims are still living in tents. The promised aid never got to them.

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

That was me!!!! If you can't see the attached image, look in the gallery, I posted it there!!

Ha ha

Papa Carl

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

That was me!!!! If you can't see the attached image, look in the gallery, I posted it there!!

Ha ha

Papa Carl

Another example of superior British engineering?   :)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Last time we went to Subic Bay, our driver was caught for speeding. We were stopped at the toll booth. Proof of speeding came from a traffic camera. The difficulty of being ticketed is the police confiscates your driver's license. He would have to personally show up to pay the fine and retrieve the license.

Do you know if the cameras are fixed or mobile?  I have heard about cameras out there but I have never seen one.  No worries now as the Avanza barely is capable of breaking the 100 kph limit!

They using mobiles cams more often in the Freeport.  I have seen two motorcycle cops with them recently.

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Ha ha

Papa Carl

Another example of superior British engineering?   :)

Correct, ONMYWAY, a Peel P50 produced on the Isle of Man between 1962 and 1965.

Way ahead of it's time, and still holds the record from smallest production car ever built.

Now being  brought out of mothballs, with a petrol engine!

And that is 6 foot 5 inch Jeremy Clarkson driving.

In fact he drove it right in the front door of the BBC studio, into the elevator and onto the production floor. (with a little help from a woman who had to lift the back end and turn him around as it has no reverse gear!! Ha Ha

Papa Carl

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Oh yes, and by the way if you want to buy one now....

On the 15th February 2013 at the Bruce Weiner RM Auction a genuine 1964 Peel P50 (Registration number ARX 37B) achieved in excess of $120,000 which is £80,000 at the current exchange rate of 1.51 dollars/pound.

Small change for a small car!

Papa Carl

• Like 1