Single Father Moving To The Laguna Area With My 6 Year Old Daughter?

ksome1
Posted
Posted

Hi, I am new to the site and I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area. I have an offer from my current employer to take a position there in the Laguna area. I will also have a brance in Cebu but have to live near the Laguna branch. My question is what will the quality of life be for my 6 year old? She is half Korean btw if thet makes any difference. What is a resonable housing cost for a safe place for me and my daughter and what other exspences should I expect? My company package will include a housing allowance although I am not sure how much yet.

If there are any other familes on here or single parents with kids please message me. Thank tyou.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. We have at least one member who will have many answers for you once he is on line. Stay tuned  :)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It depends where in Laguna your branch is located and your housing requirements. Metro Manila's expansion is towards the South including the provinces of Laguna, Batangas and Cavite. The property developers are building whole communities with private schools and shopping malls. Some like the Ayala Land project in Sta. Rosa, Laguna is a new city patterned after Makati. I recently saw their video presentation. The design encourages everyone to walk, use bicycles or the developer's environmentally friendly buses and jitneys.

No problem for your daughter being accepted by fellow students if she were to attend a private school. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
She is half Korean btw if thet makes any difference.
Koreans in Phils have reputation being good students in average, assisted by it's rather common Korean parents pay tutors to help their kids to get better grades.

I don't know if that's good or bad concerning relations between the kids  :)

Girls have in general some harder to get into new groups,

because boys are friends in GROUPS, so no big problem adding one new boy.

while girls have ONE friend each and staying with that one normaly. (Some girls switch friend when they reach puberty, when they develop different fast, some want to play with dolls still, while others switch to want to "play" with boys  :lol:

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
If there are any other families on here or single parents with kids please message me. Thank you.

Hello KSOME1 welcome to the forum..

sta rosa is a pretty big place as its spread out ..

i am sure you will find a nice place on the "west"side of sta rosa which is paseo de sta rosa, or even near EK(enchanted kingdom)

cant tell you much about housing/homes .except that i am sure you can find what you want, but look,.take your time

. when you find an area,, go to it at various times. to check on it,

about schools? just depends on what you seek or  the "interest" which suits you.

finding a good housekeeper/yaya appears to be very hard, unless you pay above the "going"rate or seek an agency.

hope that you have a car or driver, taxis here are very few.mostly dropping off their customers

and returning,, 2 taxis are based in sta rosa*(as i see there name/number on the door panel)

since your child is part Korean, she should have no problems in meeting others in the "paseo de sta rosa"area

• Like 1

ksome1
Posted
Posted

If there are any other families on here or single parents with kids please message me. Thank you.

i am sure you will find a nice place on the "west"side of sta rosa which is paseo de sta rosa, or even near EK(enchanted kingdom)

cant tell you much about housing/homes .except that i am sure you can find what you want, but look,.take your time

about schools? just depends on what you seek or  the "interest" which suits you.

finding a good housekeeper/yaya appears to be very hard, unless you pay above the "going"rate or seek an agency.

hope that you have a car or driver, taxis here are very few.mostly dropping off their customers

and returning,, 2 taxis are based in sta rosa*(as i see there name/number on the door panel)

since your child is part Korean, she should have no problems in meeting others in the "paseo de sta rosa"area

Thank you. My company is offering me a Housing allowance and a car and driver. However I will have to find and pay for a school on my own and I will need a full time nanny. My salrary will be actually lower then it is now, but I am being told that my dollars will go much futher there? My biggest concern is that there will be enough things to do to keep my daughter entertained and find other familys with small children.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

ksome1,

Welcome.  I will be retireing age 55 in 2015.   My family, wife and daughter, now 7, will be moving there in Sta Rosa around April 2016.  We will be ther this coming March and April 2014 with in part searching the schools.  After we determine which schools she will attend we will start  searching for land.  We plan to build but will mostly likely rent for the first year.  There is plenty to do in Laguna and after you meet some locals and also your daughter will be making friends in school, you will be busy and I will guess she will not bored.  If you settle in that area you are only about an hour away from Alabang with large mall and plenty of shopping.  There is a nice water(Splash Island, I think) park and also amusement park,(Enchanted Kingdom)  I have some family not too far away and many friends in Laguna.  Although I like the province lifestyle, Laguna does provide for good schools, shopping, and hospitals within easy access.

Good luck and keep in contact!

danny

Almost forgot.  I don't know what your housing allowance is.  But like any where, they vary from very low, about $150 to very high $2000. per month rent depending on location/subdivision and services provided.

I have seen nice mid-sized 3 bedroom newer home $400- $700 per month in subdivisions.  My advise would be to rent short term or hotel a few months until you locate the place you feel comfortable unless you have visited before and know where you want to live.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 4