This Is Probably A Self-Answering Question.......

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

....but are there some places in the RP to just flat-out avoid? I asked my friend Wil, a Filipino, if he'd retire to the Philippines. "No, I'd go to Thailand" he replied. "There is a lot of violence in the RP".

The US is a dangerous country. There are places I wouldn't be at high noon, let alone after dark, and I avoid those places. But I also have the ability to defend myself and my home....something I'd lack in the RP

Now first, let me say this is not meant to be an insult or smear on any part of the country, or anyone's religion. But the fact remains that relations between some adherents of Christianity and Islam are "strained". Due to this, I've basically written off the idea of the southern areas of the RP (western Mindanao, etc). I figure with 7K+ islands, there's plenty of room for everyone.

But where else? Every urban area is going to have areas that are worse for crime than others, so what I'm looking for is provinces where a rather average American seeking to blend in as much as possible could avoid political/criminal/religious violence. At this early point in my "research", I've limited myself to looking north of Manila...Central Luzon and northward. What are those areas like, as far as crime?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I live 7 hours by bus north of Manila in the mountain city of Baguio. A city of 300,000 at 5,000 feet elevation with a cool moderate climate. I have lived here almost 7 months now and have made many posts on this forum about Baguio.

Here is a link to a forum thread regarding safety in Baguio:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13237-safe-in-baguio/

Use this search link to browse my other Baguio posts:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Then enter the search term Baguio, find author earthdome and display as posts. Then click Search Now.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

Like you said, there are lots of places to not go just like the States. Every place has it's inherent risks, some more than others.

Natural events include; volcanic, typhoon, flooding (depending upon where you settle), earthquakes, tsunami and the very infrequent tornado.

If you choose the central Philippines (Visayas), you will find yourself always dealing with Typhoons (not always a direct hit). Luzon gets them too but not as frequently as the Visayas. Mindanao and south, rarely get Typhoons (even then it's usually the northern and eastern coasts). 

On security, avoid the mountainous areas where the NPA frequent, avoid 90% of Mindanao (Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Dipolog & Surigao are relatively safe), 100% of the Sulu Archipelego. 

If you use some simple street common sense you can avoid the wrong places to be.

For me, the safest place that I have found is the Subic Freeport. The old US Naval base. It is like a huge gated community with plenty of restaurants, shops and a mall. I have absolutely zero worries about crime here.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
....but are there some places in the RP to just flat-out avoid? I asked my friend Wil, a Filipino, if he'd retire to the Philippines. "No, I'd go to Thailand" he replied. "There is a lot of violence in the RP".

There might be another reason why your Filipino friends may prefer to retire in Thailand. All his relatives are going to hound him for gift money; medical emergency; loans that will never be repaid; college tuition; etc. As the rich Americano, he is on top of the totem pole, which means taking care of everyone below. 

• Like 3

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Not sure if it helps but during my travels have found many many expats in Bacolod and Cebu and both areas always seem very friendly when i am out and about..........