Rice Shortage Cebu Where To Find Rice At A Fair Price?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What is the rice supply like in Philippines now?

Most poor in Talisay Cebu are eating corn meal (Grits) because rice is hard to find. My family sells rice but are unable to stock it anymore. Some of the poor are getting relief supply's using fake ID.

The government fixes rice prices so the market is screwed up even in normal times.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Most poor in Talisay Cebu are eating corn meal (Grits) because rice is hard to find. My family sells rice but are unable to stock it anymore. Some of the poor are getting relief supply's using fake ID.

The government fixes rice prices so the market is screwed up even in normal times.

Wasn't the main harvest around 2 months ago in the different regions this year? 

(If I remember corect, the main harvest was in October a year ago at Bohol where they grow much rice, so I guess Cebu get several rice transports from there.)

If so it can't be finnished yet.

It's breaking the law if wholesalers keep rice extra long to get more pay. (I mean it's not allowed to sell less per month in the beginning after harvest to earn more, than they will sell per month when price raise later after main harvest.)

Or can it be a TRANSPORT problem by many have been occupied making transports for surviving/recovering after the supertyphon?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo rice is fine.  Everyone still selling it and the price is the usual p35-p50 depending the milling you want.  Not sure why it would harder to get in Cebu?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo rice is fine.  Everyone still selling it and the price is the usual p35-p50 depending the milling you want.  Not sure why it would harder to get in Cebu?

Perhaps this is related to the typhoon?  A lot of rice got wiped out.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What I heard from our family is that much of the rice was diverted to aid some was disrupted by the earthquake. My opinion is any time government puts price controls on a product it will screw up the market.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Perhaps this is related to the typhoon? A lot of rice got wiped out.

What I heard from our family is that much of the rice was diverted to aid some was disrupted by the earthquake. My opinion is any time government puts price controls on a product it will screw up the market.

I believe they had harvested before the typhon, but Yes harvest/storehouses can have been damaged by the earthquake.

Oh the government have put price control in the parts where there were no typhon catastrophy too?

Yes, not odd if some ricewholesalers try to avoid selling during the price is lower than it would be if supply-demand would decide the price.

• Like 1