No More Begging In Manila?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Don't count on this lasting long...     They are not arresting beggars - they are "rescuing" them.  I love semantics!

(but there is another unbelievable article about car emission enforcement - unreliable paper, I think ha ha)

MANILA, Philippines - The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Saturday said it would be intensifying its drive to rescue vagrants and mendicants from the Metro's streets over the Christmas season.

"We appeal to parents to take responsibility and prohibit their children from begging, sleeping and conducting carolings on major thoroughfares,” said MMDA-Street Dweller Care Unit head Amante Salvador.

Salvador said the agency has partnered with the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in the campaign to rescue vagrants.

The drive is in line with the provisions of Presidential Decree 1563 which is also known as the Mendicancy Law of 1978.

The law calls for the prevention of the commission of mendicancy, prevention of the exploitation of infants and children through mendicancy and provide rehabilitative services for those already exploited or in immediate danger of exploitation; and promotion of the rehabilitation of minors found begging and mendicants by providing an integrated developmental package of preventive, interceptive, remedial, and rehabilitative services.

Under the law, persons found begging shall be apprehended and meted with fines and penalties. In like manner, persons giving alms shall likewise be fined. Infants, children or minors found begging shall be considered as neglected children and committed to DSWD custody. 

Meanwhile, Salvador encouraged parents to allow their children participate in the gift giving activities of their barangays and local DSWD in their localities.

Salvador said they have observed that the number of mendicants and street dwellers multiply in Metro Manila's streets during the Christmas season.

Salvador said at least 148 street dwellers have been rescued by the MMDA in Manila and brought to the Boys Town facility last week.

The MMDA has also started bringing rescued individuals to the DSWD rescue center at the Jose Fabella Hospital in Mandaluyong for proper identification and documentation.

http://www.philstar.com:8080/nation/2013/12/14/1268080/mmda-intensify-drive-rescue-vagrants-beggars-streets

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
"We appeal to parents to take responsibility and prohibit their children from begging, sleeping and conducting carolings on major thoroughfares,

The parents will be doing the same on the next corner.

In like manner, persons giving alms shall likewise be fined.

This means that those giving to beggars will be fined which is not new as its been the law for as long as I can remember.

Salvador said they have observed that the number of mendicants and street dwellers multiply in Metro Manila's streets during the Christmas season.

Really? Well it is the time to make some money. The big department stores do it year after year so whats new?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Guess no one told those kids that were singing very loadly and poorly at my gate 20 minutes ago lol

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Reminds me of an old camera club joke.

"There she was on a dusty street corner clutching a small child, a Madonna wearing rags." explained the photographer about his image on the slide projector.

"So what did you give her?" asked a camera club member.

"f8 at 1/60 second. I also gave her money and a policeman arrested me for contributing to mendicancy.".he replied.

"So what did you tell the judge?" asked another club member.

"Modeling fee."

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

In all major cities during Christmas time the Badjao come in from their villages and beg for money so they can go back home and live for the rest of the year ... just ran into 3-4 groups of them today here in Bacolod .... playing the tin can drums and singing .... you can tell them as they look and dress different than the regular street kids ..... here they board jeepney's and hand out envelops for people to put money in when the jeepney stops for red lights (yea we actually do have red lights here in Bacolod ..... not many but a few) .....

Just a side note and to funny not to mention but the Bacolod mayor is blaming Yolanda for all the traffic lights that don't work .... funny thing is when we came here last year they weren't working then and still don't work ..... but it does make for a good news story and maybe government emergency funding .... :santa dance: :mocking: :mocking:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

• 11 months later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The drive is in line with the provisions of Presidential Decree 1563 which is also known as the Mendicancy Law of 1978.

The law against street begging dates back about 35 years. So far no results. Maybe they should amend the law allowing begging provided the beggars are properly licensed. The first step is a training program. Rules could include:

1. Don't be aggressive.

2. Smile and be charming.

3. Bills only. No coins.

4. Wear free colorful t-shirts purchased by the government at P1,300 each.

Wow! a new tourist attraction.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

No mention of the P500 fine for begging.  I think I will print several copies of the law and pass it out the next time beggars come by.  A couple of days ago my wife's sister's husband came by to visit. He wanted to sit beside the highway which I never do and drink some beer.  Beggars came by two times which was very rude and interrupted our conversation.  We gave them a few pesos but it would have been better to give them a copy of the law. I need to print those copies now.  Maybe I will put some copies on our security fence too.