How To Pay For A Hotel Room

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

For our four weeks stay in the Philippines, a very close friend has offered us the free use of their executive condo. This is where they house visiting Japanese executives who own 40% of their company. Because of our late night arrival, I asked our friend not to pick us up at the airport. Instead, we will stay at a hotel in Makati overnight. Transport from the airport will be either a hotel car or a tourist taxi.

The prices for a luxury hotel room have increased dramatically during the past few years. Usually I stay at a budget inn owned by a cousin, but my wife will be with me. The top ones like Shangri-La Makati and Manila Peninsula were quickly eliminated. I focused on Dusit Thani, Intercontinental and New World, but all the search engine booking services were pricing them in the $141 to $156 range plus 22.5% in taxes and service charges.

On a hunch, I visited the hotels' websites for prices. They quote in local currency and the pesos is down against the dollar. I reserved a room with Dusit Thani Hotel for P5,000 a night or $114 plus 22.5%. The booking services are priced at $141 to $143. That's a pretty good discount. 

I will probably use a similar strategy when we visit Cebu and Baguio. Balesin Island turned out to be a private membership only resort. Our host is paying for everything. Boracay is uncertain. We still don't know if an air/hotel package is cheaper. There are a number of Philippine websites offering all kinds of packages.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

Try  Agoda . com       I often find cheap deals

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I always check the hotel' website after checking Agoda and other sites to get a short list.  Sometimes they will have some specials that will not show on the retail sites.  I got a really good deal at the Manila Penn from their website, Xmas 2011.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Try  Agoda . com       I often find cheap deals

I just checked Agoda. They are also offering Dusit Thani Hotel at $143.00 plus 22.5% in taxes and service charge. My suspicion is the rates are negotiated possibly a year ahead with seasonal price adjustments. Because Internet websites are relatively cheap to maintain, the hotels and airlines have realized they can compete against their own wholesalers. Our airline tickets were purchased directly through the United Airlines website. They even gave a $25 surprise bonus for direct reservations. I guess they are looking to establish direct customer loyalty.

For the Dusit Thani Hotel reservation, the main reason for checking the hotel website was the recent currency fluctuation with the peso depreciating against the dollar. I had forgotten OnMyWay's comment that hotels sometimes offer special packages.

Another strategy if you know the travel dates or the hotel's name is to login several times using different search engine companies without making the reservation. The computer systems are so sophisticated they will track you. I looked into Microtel Baguio. Now advertisements keep popping up for Microtel Baguio, including the banner ad on this forum. This will continue until I make a reservation with Microtel Baguio or another hotel property. For fun, I click on the banner because Google.com and their affiliates make money. It also informs the computer I am still interested and just waiting for the price to be lowered. One day, Google.com will send me an email offering a better discount at Microtel Baguio since I am on their "frequent traveler" list. 

Edited by JJReyes

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Read and Listen! Print and take copies of your bookings!

My last two month staying at San Carlos City and using it as our travel hub,  we made several short (2-3 day) vacation trips.  I had done the same searching methods as you each have done including calling for the best pricing.  I ended up booking on line and printed the bookings, some secured with a small deposit and would pay at the resort the balance, and some required no deposit.

Two of the five trips we (of course me) forgot to take along the printed bookings.  No big deal I thought because it was book on line and should be no problem.  Well, our reservations were always there and had great stays until checking out.  Without the printed booking reservation and pricing, we were charged the higher listed fees.  When asked them to check their computer bookings was told, "Sorry sir, no record".  Strange thing was they had our reservation and knew we were coming but not the quoted fees they gave us on the web site.  No problem, I paid with MC and later filed a dispute through the cc company.  One was corrected and refunded and the other I lost some $$.  It was a $75.37 lesson learned.  Always take printed copies of your bookings which shows the quoted prices!

danny

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Always take printed copies of your bookings which shows the quoted prices!

In addition, if you have a smart phone, put a copy of the booking pdf on your smart phone. That has worked for me and if they insist on a printed copy you can get one made.

• Like 1

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

I always carry my small laptop, has all the bookings, just turn on and show.

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

And if you book through Agoda just sing in to web site and all booking will come up.

Agoda and other sites often have last minuite specials when a hotel has many empty rooms.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
And if you book through Agoda just sing in to web site and all booking will come up.

Wish I had one of those singing computers.  :lol: Just having a shot at the typo which gave me a laugh.  :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

All the best rates I've got in hotels - with rates in some cases better than 50% Agoda or Asiatravel was by ....

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn......

Just calling them, yes,  with ye' olde phone !  :lol:

• Like 1