Mayor Shot At Manila Airport

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/12/philippines-mayor-killed-at-manila-airport-201312205187710448.html

Philippine mayor killed at Manila airport

toolsFeedback.gif

201091983334300734_20.jpg

Gunmen have shot dead a town mayor and three other people at the airport in the Philippine capital, Manila, sending travellers fleeing for safety, authorities said.

Ukol Talumpa, mayor of a town called Labangan, in Zamboanga del Sur province, was killed together with his wife and baby and one other person, Al Jazeera's Jamela Alindogan reported from Manila on Friday.

Four other people were wounded in the incident, airport manager Jose Honrado said.

Talumpa was waiting for a ride with his family outside the airport terminal when the gunmen approached and shot him at close range, Honrado said.

"We are still investigating the motive," he said. The mayor's relatives declined to comment. The gunmen, who were wearing police uniforms, escaped on a motorcycle.

Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport is named after prominent opposition politician Benigno Aqunio, who was shot dead there in 1983 as he arrived home from self-exile.

His son, also Benigno Aqunio, is now president.

Source:
Al Jazeera and agencies

Edited by johnb

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Hope that this is a wake up call to those in power that abusing their positions of trust

could result in this.( unless you have a 4 car convoy w/6 armed guards)

for those whp have lived here a long time or enjoy to read or understand Philippine history 

this has happen before and will continue til......... the citizenry matures and realizes  its actions is detrimental to an better & improved country.. (this will not happen at least not in my lifetime nor my childs )

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Considering that such an act could have been carried out outside a Hotel or so many other places with less risk to the shooters, it seems that shooting him at the airport with all the security and cameras was some kind of statement.

I'm making the assumption that those others killed with names withheld were simply innocent travelers, this doesn't exactly inspire confidence in this country

Johnb

Edited by johnb

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Considering that the mayor was in a opposition party to the incumbent presidents it would be totally wrong to say a statement was being made until a full investigation has been carried out.  The airport was named for a reason.