Travel Agency Experience

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Just curious what experience you have had with Filipino travel agencies (if you used one) in arranging trips/travel say to resorts within the Philippines.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I've used them for travel outside the RP. The only issue that I've had is that if you get the agency to book your ticket through the low cost airlines...your troubles begin big time when you want to upgrade your baggage allowance for instance. The agency keeps the code necessary to access the booking and try get them to return your emails. That was with Golden JC in Ayala 

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I don't know if the agencies charge you a fee but the strange thing is that when you book online with Cebu Pacific, they charge 480 or 520 web admin fee. One day I will try both ways to see which is better. PAL, Cathy Pacific, and Air Canada do not charge web fees. Cebu P even charges you extra for a seat. Ceres charges you the same whether you get a seat or have to stand. The Cebu P scales at check in read high as I checked in at 17.5 KG then transferred to Cathy P with the same suitcase which weighed in at 13 KG. At home, my scales weighed in at 13 KG.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I reserved with Cebu Pacific at their website for Manila to Hongkong. If you time it right they have promo fares that are very inexpensive ($120 RT for two). Unfortunately, we were not able to use it due to unforseen circumstances when we got to Manila. I ended up forfeiting the ticket. Although unfortunate, I didn't mind so much as the loss was not that great. So I can't share what it would have been like taking Cebu Pacific although they seemed fine to deal with on the phone when I called them about the issue and with the use of their website when I reserved.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I asked about travel agencies because a friend had a trip arranged by a Filipino travel agent to a supposedly nice resort at El Nido in Palawan. Never been to Palwan but know enough about the basics from online research. So they flew to Puerto Princessa, Palawan where they were met by a minibus for the 6-hour :O drive to El Nido (The 6-hr drive would have discouraged me to go there). Long story short, the resort had no record of their reservation. They ended up staying at one of the only available hostels in El Nido. Not what they paid for nor planned. Good thing they were only there for 3 nights.

Unfortunately, the lesson learned here is NEVER use a travel agency in the Philippines to arrange trips. Yes, this sounds like a generalization but its so easy to do it online yourself. So my advise is do it yourself directly with the resort facility and transportation services. Avoid the aggrevation and do it yourself. And always pay by credit card. If you pay with cash you can kiss it goodbye. At least you can dispute payments made with a credit card.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I asked about travel agencies because a friend had a trip arranged by a Filipino travel agent to a supposedly nice resort at El Nido in Palawan. Never been to Palwan but know enough about the basics from online research. So they flew to Puerto Princessa, Palawan where they were met by a minibus for the 6-hour drive to El Nido (The 6-hr drive would have discouraged me to go there). Long story short, the resort had no record of their reservation.

Who arranged the minibus to take them to the resort, usually that's handled through the resort. Does the "travel agent" work for a reputable company in an established place of business or is it some guy (or gal) working out of their apt? Did they contact the agent during or after this snafu?