Balikbayan Privilege Another Question.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

I searched the forum and also read the linked page and couldn't locate a clear answer to the following question  didn't see this question.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/balikbayan.htm

Since my wife, a former Philippine citizen, has recently became a naturalized citizen in the USA and has not yet applied for dual citizenship or retained Philippine citizenship, can she, my daughter, and myself obtain the balikbayan privilege stamp?  Although there are several privileges we just want the extra stay privilege so as not to waste time at the BI office for the visa extension.  My plan is to just be prepared to make the visit if need be.

It is my understanding from what I have read is my wife and family are eligible to receive the privilege as long as she is able to prove she was a Philippine citizen.  I was hoping the old Philippine passport and or birth certificate would be acceptable.

Have any of you members have first hand experience with this situation?  What IDs had you presented?
thanks

Edited by intrepid

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

First time around, we presented her original Philippine passport and our marriage certificate.  They didn't check the old passport.  (Results may vary, so bring it anyway.)We always offer up our marriage certificate though.

And, no, she doesn't have dual citizenship.  Just Canadian.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Have any of you members have first hand experience with this situation?  What IDs had you presented? thanks

The procedure I follow is to place my American passport on top of my wife's. You do the reverse with your wife's passport on top. She tells the Immigration officer, "Balikbayan." He/She will check the country of birth on the passport and this is usually sufficient. All passports in the stack will be stamped "BB". Double check before leaving the counter. Sometimes the Immigration officer will converse in Pilipino and she should respond with a Philippine accent. A former Philippine passport or birth certificate is for insurance just in case. Don't show it unless requested.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

have to ask

Can a person (father/mother of child) enter the country w/his/her child and receive the same "visa"?

OR is it of only available to husband/wife?

Off topic yet still related to this.

as we know some countries now allow same-sex marriage/unions.

Would the BI or current law allow one to enter under the Balikbayan visa program?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Balikbayan privilege extends to children traveling with a father or mother who was born in the Philippines. My wife and I entered the Philippines once with our younger son who was over the age of 21 years and they stamped his passport "BB" just like ours.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.  That is sorta what I thought but wanted to be sure.  Always good to hear others' experience.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

have to ask

Can a person (father/mother of child) enter the country w/his/her child and receive the same "visa"?

The Balikbayan privilege extends to children traveling with a father or mother who was born in the Philippines. My wife and I entered the Philippines once with our younger son who was over the age of 21 years and they stamped his passport "BB" just like ours.

i know at times i am not clear .allow me to explain

I need to extend,its time....tick tick tick....

i am not married .. the mother is NO LONGER living in the house

yet my child is born here, can I take the child w/me?? to obtain the "visa"

As my situation is very unique. VERY....

i have the 2 children w/me. 1 has passport other doesnt have passport nor DSWD clearance

cant really leave the country for "visa run"

what would you(the forum )suggest?

local BI .off the record. suggested to go to manila office and apply for a "?" special request/extension

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Don't know where so my notes went to... Short answer - yes you can! It does require a bit more to get done. And you will still have to go to Manila to get done. Myself? I would look at the recommended Special Request. Who knows? Maybe you can get something very long term and no hastles!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4