Photos In Your Camera

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

We always talk about backups for our PC's but rarely does one think about their digital cameras. Every day I copy photos from my camera to the PC. Today was different. The SD card got corrupted somehow. Kind of scared me a bit to think I would not have a camera for all the places we plan on going.

The card even locked up my PC. After using Disk Management on the PC I was able to get the card reformatted. Of course that lost all photos. So instead of loosing several days I only lost one day.

Remember to backup you photos often from the camera.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

We always talk about backups for our PC's but rarely does one think about their digital cameras. Every day I copy photos from my camera to the PC. Today was different. The SD card got corrupted somehow. Kind of scared me a bit to think I would not have a camera for all the places we plan on going.

The card even locked up my PC. After using Disk Management on the PC I was able to get the card reformatted. Of course that lost all photos. So instead of loosing several days I only lost one day.

Remember to backup you photos often from the camera.

Thank you FlyAway for your advise regarding SD cards used in camcorders.  I took the liberty of educating

myself on does SD cards get corrupted.  You would be surprise that in most cases, it was operator error.  

For example, transferring files to your PC or taking pictures while the battery is running low may induce all

kinds of miss communications to your PC: http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-cards/corrupted-

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I used special card recovery software to get to the photos of a friend. Something had corrupted the card but the photos were still there. Just ran the software and recovered all his photos. The PC locking up would have been caused by your computer trying to auto open the card with software that choked on the corrupted card. I don't let windows auto open anything...to much of a virus risk

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

When I am copying things from my SD card that I use in my camera to my PC, I don't hook the camera up to the PC. I take the card out and use a card reader. Then no camera battery issues. Also, I keep all my photographs and movies backed up on more than one drive. Drives go out all the time, and photos are not replaceable. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

I regularly use 2 laptops, a netbook, a playbook and my Nexus 4 so I have to be careful where I store my photos. I have a copy on each machine, a copy on a flash drive and copies on both Picasso and again on the Amazon cloud. (Free with Ubuntu.. Hehe!). So storage is no problem. And, as my Nexus 4 has become my regular camera, taking them off is easy too! I just email them to myself!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4