Globe Internet Booster Using Tattoo Stick

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Has anyone had any experience with a product from Globe that was previously available an internet booster, a WIFI device that accesses the internet via a Tattoo 3g stick. I have no internet in the mountains outside of Argao though I have line of sight to the tower. The cell reception can be spotty but on a good day with full bars, there is only cell service, no internet.

An expat I know has a booster for sale and I'm not sure if it will be enough to give me a connection. He said it worked well in Danbatayan before Yolanda removed the roof from the dwelling where he lived. I saw in a previous post about Globe in the Forum that mentioned no internet connection above the 5th floor where he lived. As I'm a much higher altitude than that, maybe nothing I do will give me an internet connection

Hope I can glean some info here. Thanks in advance

brock
Posted
Posted

Couldn't you borrow it for a couple of days to see if it will work for you

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I believe that there is a device that will pick up a signal, clean it up and amplify it's power. This device would be so expensive that you could buy a satellite receiver and pay a monthly fee for internet. My nephew got together with 4 other soldiers in Iraq and paid ablout $750 a month for satelite internet.

What most people call a booster works because it has an antenna, better than a cellphones or internet stick which is usually mounted outside a car or building. It picks up the degraded signal and rebroadcasts it. Most people are fooled seeing they have full bars on the device but that is only because you are closer to the source of the transmission, like a repeater. The content of the signal you receive is still degraded although the booster is rebroadcasting it at full strength. It might be slightly better than stepping outside with your phone because of the better antenna. Sometimes slightly is enough, I plan to buy one for my truck for an upcoming trip to North Dakota where signal can be spotty. If it were summer I would just pull over climb in the back and sit on the cab for about the same effect but it will be early "spring" and probably colder than the inside of my freezer.

The booster could be part of your solution. I saw on the Youtube where Pop65z took a discarded internet dish and used it to double (by capturing and reflecting) the signal to his internet stick that he had on a long cable so it could be outside. He had to play with the focal length between the reflecting dish and his internet stick, he was up a mountain also. I think there is more to be gained by capturing more signal than just amplifying the power of the signal you can capture. I hope this helps. :)

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes. In Thailand I know some use antennas or satelite discs to get signal. Even one smaller Internet shop solve it by satelite disc!

But NOTE!   These satelite discs DON'T aim at a satelite, they aim at mobile Internet poles 20-40 kilometers or so away.

It function for them when it's no mountain/forest in between. One with satelite disc has even forest in between, but then it's weather depending, not functioning in storms.

I suppouse it's similar in Phils.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for your help. I remember now seeing a wifi dongle being attached to the inside of a wire Chinese utensil used for deep frying items in a wok.It resembles a miniature satellite dish. A cheap and inexpensive way of amplifying the signal. My mind is working on a solution now hmmmm

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for your help. I remember now seeing a wifi dongle being attached to the inside of a wire Chinese utensil used for deep frying items in a wok.It resembles a miniature satellite dish. A cheap and inexpensive way of amplifying the signal. My mind is working on a solution now hmmmm

Here you go

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

The simplest solutions are always the best and this one the cheapest too. Many thanks