Press Release From The Bi

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is why the BI is requiring the new form for the annual registration .... if this had been put out say 2 months before Jan. and a detailed explanation on how to fill it out I sure would not have objected so negatively .... as it is only to find those residing here under false visas or what have you and to update their records ........ I have heard of other reasons but will keep those to myself as they involve individuals employed by the BI ..... JMHO :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Press Release

9 January 2014

To update records of aliens and further bolster border security of the country, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) is requiring thousands of foreign nationals for mandatory appearance in filing their alien certificate of registration.

BI Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison announced yesterday that the new process of annual report is in line to the bureau’s first national alien audit and cleansing of database which have been “outdated and old-fashioned” for the past two decades.

“We appeal for understanding. This process might give a slight inconvenience to our foreign friends but eventually, this will lead to a further improvement of our services,” said Mison.

He said the new requirement was imposed to strictly enforce immigration rules and regulations on national security, public safety and order as prescribed by the Alien Registration Act. Under the act, foreigners must report in person to the bureau within the first 60 days of every calendar year.

Mison said they had assigned added personnel in processing areas, senior citizens lane and additional cashier windows had been put up until the last day of filing, and filled up documents will be processed in 30 minutes.

The new program of the bureau is “very advantageous” to every alien since appearing in person or mandatory appearance with the submission of annual form and paying fees will be prevented of being victimized by “fixers”.

Mison says foreign nationals might feel a slight inconvenience especially now that they are required to personally appear at the bureau offices. The bureau chief appealed for their understanding since the new processes are meant to improve immigration processes in the long-term.

As of date, there are 208,900 foreign nationals staying in the Philippines. However, hundreds of them have insufficient personal data, according to the database of the BI.

The new reporting system which includes finger printing, notarization and personal appearance are among the innovations introduced by Mison in a memorandum circular issued last December.

The process is in anticipation for the full automation of immigration processes which eventually will enhance the services being given by the bureau for foreign nationals, visiting here or staying here permanently, Mison said.

“We want the bureau of immigration to be pro-active in its job. Our job is basically enhancing our border security and protects foreign nationals staying here. In preparation for our eventual automation, this process is necessary,” he explained.

He said the new process is for the bureau to contribute further with accurate, updated data with various law enforcement agencies, intelligence community and counterparts on issues related to national security.

Mison said objective of the annual registration is for them to audit deceased family members of the foreign national whether he is immigrant or non- immigrant and resident or non- resident.

He added that they will also be able to update the records of aliens, their dependent, spouse and children including their immigration status.

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
as it is only to find those residing here under false visas
What in the form solution make they will find foreigners with false visas, if they try to go on geting false visas??
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Permanent Residents on a 13A visa already had to provide finger prints of all fingers not just their thumbs and already had to provide pictures.

Knowing that my parents and son are dead have absolutely nothing to do with my Permanent Residency or my status in the Philippines.

And, I don't see how the new form has anything to do with finding those with false visas.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'm all in favor of border security, I wish the US actually had some. I do not see what auditing dead relatives have to do with border security. I don't believe in automation, at least not in the Philipines.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The way I see it, the Philippines is getting ready to finally put all those other miscellaneous items on your ACR card. Yes, some of the questions on it may be strange but nobody has come up with anything stranger than I've been asked at the US border... And there are always growing pains with any new government program. Hopefully they will get all the bugs worked out in time for the 2015 "get together".

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You have to remember that the 13a is not the only reason to fill out these forms ..... they also cover the work ... student and other types of visas and many ...... especially for students ..... is required such as parents etc. ..... if the questions DON'T apply to you just put N/A in the appropriate boxes .... while I do agree some questions don't make a lot of sense for me on a 13a they do for other type of visas .... and yes they could have made a form for each visa but they didn't so we just have to live with it ..... :tiphat:

BI Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison announced yesterday that the new process of annual report is in line to the bureau’s first national alien audit and cleansing of database which have been “outdated and old-fashioned” for the past two decades.

It is my understanding (nothing official) that this is a onetime deal .... or maybe once every so many years ..... and as far as catching the bad guys it will help as you MUST apply in person .... no agencies .... fixers or so forth ..... of course you still have the option of not filing if you are not legal so no it won't catch those people ....

By the way they could have asked a lot more questions like they do when you get a US green card .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
You have to remember that the 13a is not the only reason to fill out these forms ..... they also cover the work ... student and other types of visas and many ...... especially for students ..... is required such as parents etc. ..... if the questions DON'T apply to you just put N/A in the appropriate boxes .... while I do agree some questions don't make a lot of sense for me on a 13a they do for other type of visas .... and yes they could have made a form for each visa but they didn't so we just have to live with it ..... :tiphat:

This does seem to be a 'one size fits most' kind of form...

• 1 year later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

The US green card may require more questions but they don't as far as I know require you to pay the equivalent of 3k piso every 2 months and report. This is BS for tourist visa. I don't believe filling out this form will give me the right to work either.