Mulled Wine Stuff: Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger

pesochek
Posted
Posted

Hello. So I guess everyone experience unusually chill weather these days across not so tropical Philippines. Overall it's fine, reminds me of early autumn days back in my motherland, yet these days lack of one important feature - evenings would be much better with a glass or two of mulled wine.

I reside in Cebu and found it real problem to find proper ingredients to make my own. That's the only option, because no cafe or restaurant ever heard of such drink. So I need cinnamon, cloves and ginger in their original "seeds" form (sticks if we talk about ginger). Not grounded, not powdered, seeds only. Any hints where to find those? I already tried SM, Ayala, S&R, Robinsons and Tinderbox on Banilad road.

Well if you know any place where one can treat self with ready-made mulled wine, this information will be much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I suppouse Garden equipment shops have such. (E g PhilRice sell some garden equipment, but (mainly) to farmers.)

Ginger grow even wild in several places in Phils (I don't know for Cebu city province) so perhaps hard to find anyone who bother to try to sell such  :)

pesochek
Posted
Posted

Well maybe ginger will be overkill, it doesn't need to be included in classic recipe. But you're right, at least this one can be found here, as locals are very fond of this strange ginger tea.

Saying "seeds" I probably used inappropriate word. I don't need to grow them.) I guess these should be called as "sticks" as well. Anyway helpers in all shops don't know where to get such things even if you show them photoes.

clove.130194458_std.jpg

cinnamon%20sticks.jpg

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Bring them with you, have someone send them to you, or use mail order online.

pesochek
Posted
Posted

Sure. These options are my last resort. Also I wouldn't be surprised much if these items are available in Manila. Cebu is considered quite big city, but still it has very limited supply of almost everything. Thus it's quite big village, not city.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Saying "seeds" I probably used inappropriate word. I don't need to grow them.) I guess these should be called as "sticks" as well.
If it is what I believe you mean (=parts of old plants, which can be planted separate) then Ibelieve they are called "seedlings" because at least it's so for trees.
Also I wouldn't be surprised much if these items are available in Manila. Cebu is considered quite big city, but still it has very limited supply of almost everything.
Seeds and seedlings I believe are easier to find the SMALLER city/town  :)     (=biger part of the customers are farmers).
/Cebu/ Thus it's quite big village,
Metro Cebu has over 2.5 mill citizens. If you don't count that to be a city, then not even the Swedish capital is a "city"     :)