File Compression

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I know that video and music files can be compressed but can game files also be compressed and if so how .....

Has anyone seen the size of the new game files now .... just downloaded one at 22g and I believe it has already been compressed .... or maybe not .... the Call of Duty - Ghosts is 22g of downloading and will take 3 8g DD disks to download it to for future use .... need to make it smaller ....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Has anyone seen the size of the new game files now

Mike, I wonder if you would be better, to use an external hard drive for your Games  :rolleyes:  Just a thought.

:tiphat:  

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Good advise Jack but I have my games on a 1TB drive now with only about 217GB empty ..... these are just the games I'm playing (sometimes 4-5 at a time) and the ones not yet opened (I keep about 6 in reserve) .... hummmmm did I mention I'm addicted ..... :mocking: :mocking:  ..... I don't have near as many as Lordblacknail but still have around 300+ .... almost all are 2g and more so that is why I put them on DS 8GB DVD disks .... and as I said they are just getting bigger and bigger and unfortunately Blue Ray is out of the question for me because of the cost .... the good news is that DS disks are available here now as when I first got here no one had any and I had to burn everything on 4GB disks so at least i doubled my storage size .... :thumbsup:  ..... but now they have tripled the game data size ....  :th_unfair:  .....  :hystery:  :hystery:  ...... Call of Duty - Ghosts is 28GB download size .... oh well ..... Yo Ho Ho ..... :mocking:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Good advise Jack but I have my games on a 1TB drive now with only about 217GB empty ..... these are just the games I'm playing (sometimes 4-5 at a time) and the ones not yet opened (I keep about 6 in reserve) .... hummmmm did I mention I'm addicted ..... :mocking: :mocking:  ..... I don't have near as many as Lordblacknail but still have around 300+ .... almost all are 2g and more so that is why I put them on DS 8GB DVD disks .... and as I said they are just getting bigger and bigger and unfortunately Blue Ray is out of the question for me because of the cost .... the good news is that DS disks are available here now as when I first got here no one had any and I had to burn everything on 4GB disks so at least i doubled my storage size .... :thumbsup:  ..... but now they have tripled the game data size ....  :th_unfair:  .....  :hystery:  :hystery:  ...... Call of Duty - Ghosts is 28GB download size .... oh well ..... Yo Ho Ho ..... :mocking:

:cheersty:

hummmmm did I mention I'm addicted ..... :mocking: :mocking:

What's with you Marine?  You just can't push off from the keyboard and play the real world games?

As you may know me, one of my favorite PC games is called the Call of the Urge, Maniac version.

It's also played DS (double sided), depending which hand I use to play with my joystick......he, he.

Damn -- those wipers bladed for my 23" flat screen needs to be replace -- it's all gunked up....he, he. 

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

You could try compressing your games with a free to use program like 7-Zip but make sure you have a back up copy in case it doesn't like being compressed.  http://www.7-zip.org/

Personally I would also go the external harddrive route.

• Like 2