Does Pi "filter" The Internet?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

Haven't struck it yet but does the Philippines block access to certain aspects of the web?  If so, is this managed by the ISPs or the government?  What sort of sites are blocked?

brock
Posted
Posted

Haven't  known anything to be blocked yet.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

So far, I have not experienced PLDT blocking anything. The US however will! Thank God for VPNs.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

There are things that you can't do online from the PI, like book a flight with Korean Air or shop on some sites that will not deliver to PI. It probably is not the PI doing the blocking but likely the other sites denying access due to past problems.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have run into sites that won't let you connect because as they say "webmaster will not allow viewing in your country" ..... I think it has more to do with all the pirating being done here in the Phils and I'm told some so called live chat sites can't be shown here .... but other than that it is wide open ....

:cheersty:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have had a number of messages recently that my IP address was banned because it's site policy to ban addresses from China. I think it's more to do with them than the Philippines.     

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

China does block some sites.

If you cant download any films, just type in piratebay proxy.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

Haven't struck it yet but does the Philippines block access to certain aspects of the web?  If so, is this managed by the ISPs or the government?  What sort of sites are blocked?

So far, I have not experienced PLDT blocking anything. The US however will! Thank God for VPNs.

China does block some sites.

some sites appear to be blocked due the "region". This is set by the "web site" or the owner of the material. NOT by the PI government,. at least not yet.

example some of the AOL.com news(video) articles are not accessable

post-1293-0-09779500-1390661769_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have run into sites that won't let you connect because as they say "webmaster will not allow viewing in your country" ..... I think it has more to do with all the pirating being done here in the Phils and I'm told some so called live chat sites can't be shown here .... but other than that it is wide open ....

:cheersty:

Its easy for the website owner to block countries and it happens everywhere. One time I was in the Phils and I went to yahoo seven Australia site to watch TV but no.

post-1-0-27769200-1390730915_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Was linking some sites to SAO but no go, nothing too out of the ordinary - Said something about unsuitable content or the like.