Google Launches Street View For Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This will be good once it covers all of the Philippines although I would think it would be a long time before that happens.. Not sure if they will show all those back streets.  :89:

post-1-0-97689100-1390982964_thumb.jpg

MANILA—Google has just set new sights on the Philippines, bringing people around the world close to some of the country’s ancient fortresses and historic churches.

On Tuesday the tech-giant began capturing images of the Philippines for Street View – a feature on GoogleGOOG +1.98% Maps and Google Earth that allows users to virtually explore cities at ground level.
The company, which started on the streets of Manila using equipment called a trekker, will work its way through the capital before moving on to capture the rest of the Philippines’ more than 7,000 islands. Google says it hopes to capture more off-road, natural and indoor destinations.

To collect the 360-degree imagery used in the service, the company will deploy specially equipped Street View cars to take photographs of both cities and historic sites.

In Manila, it will initially focus on four areas in historic Intramuros – the former seat of the country during 400 years of Spanish rule. Images taken Tuesday by Google using its mobile equipment are already available online.

Google is undertaking the project together with the Philippines’ Department of Tourism, and special street views are being prepared for San Agustin, the oldest stone church in the Philippines; and Fort Santiago, the Spanish fortress that served as a prison for national hero and revolutionary Jose Rizal, who was executed by a firing squad in 1896.

Baluarte de San Diego, one of the oldest stone fortifications in Intramuros, and Plaza San Luis, a complex comprising several houses built in Hispanic architectural style will also be featured.

Philippine Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez Jr. said during Tuesday’s launch that the partnership with Google would help “entice” more people to learn about the Philippines and visit, giving a boost to the tourism industry. The government aims to attract 10 million tourists to the country in 2016 from a little over four million last year.

The Street View feature will eventually allow visitors to glimpse hotels and other destinations, helping them navigate the country as they plan their trips.

Ryan Morales, the marketing manager for  Google Philippines, said providing more useful map information could have a “lasting economic impact” on the country by attracting more tourists and encouraging domestic travel.

Street View first started in the U.S. and has since been launched in dozens of countries, including neighboring Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.

The company has faced privacy issues in the past, since its Street View data capture panoramic images in real-time. Some people have expressed deep concern about their personal data being recorded and potentially seen by millions of Street View users.

Mr. Morales said Tuesday that faces and cars plate numbers will be blurred. He didn’t provide a deadline for when the first batch of data would be ready.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I know certain cities or parts of the Phils that foreign visitors will go absolutely nuts if Google did a street view of those areas ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:  .... I say bring it on ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A street view of Angeles City could be fun.  Go for it!

I can't wait to see the guys take the camera rig and put it in a backpack to hike all the rice paddy trails... that is our street view here  ha ha   :tiphat:

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I wonder if my sometimes bog, sometimes rutted dirt track will feature.. Oh well, I walk across it to the beach, I can deal :D

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Breaking News   Breaking News   Breaking News

Google came under fire at its launch of Google Street View Philippines.

Google cameras inadvertently filmed what appears to be a motor bike mechanic servicing his bike. Apparently the mechanic is not a licensed and did not want his photo online.

More on this story as it comes to hand.

post-1-0-76788500-1391072037_thumb.jpg

Philippines Daily Toss Online News Paper

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
More on this story as it comes to hand.

I don't think anything came to hand ... at least not during that repair work ..... :hystery: :hystery:  ...... hummmmmm .... I wonder what was broken ..... :unsure: :mocking:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

He seems to be a shade tree mechanic who is giving a private lesson to one student. After this lesson if she attends a mechanic school she will already have one leg up.

• Like 3