Piso Or Peso, I Wonder If Anyone Even Noticed This

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have heard money called peso and piso and centavos by Filipinos and Kanos.So I wonder if anyone ever noticed that the paper money has LIMANDAANG PISO printed on the p500, SANDAANG PISO printed on the P100, DALAWANDAANG PISO on the p200 LIMAMPUNG PISO on the p50, DALAWAMPUNG PISO on the p20 and the coins clearly say piso, so how is it pronounced peso? Also the smaller denomonation coins have 25 SENTIMO and not Centavo.

Edited by Mr. Lee

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have heard money called peso and piso and centavos by Filipinos and Kanos.So I wonder if anyone ever noticed that the paper money has LIMIMANDAANG PISO printed on the p500, SANDAAG PISO printed on the P100, DALAWANDAANG PISO on the p200 LIMAMPUNG PISO on the p50, DALAWAMPUNG PISO on the p20 and the coins clearly say piso, so how is it pronounced peso? Also the smaller denomonation coins have 25 SENTIMO and not Centavo.
Well I know the last time I had a big night out on the piso I spent a lot of peso and found myself with only a few centavo the next day :13_4_10[1]:

Travis
Posted
Posted
I have heard money called peso and piso and centavos by Filipinos and Kanos.So I wonder if anyone ever noticed that the paper money has LIMANDAANG PISO printed on the p500, SANDAANG PISO printed on the P100, DALAWANDAANG PISO on the p200 LIMAMPUNG PISO on the p50, DALAWAMPUNG PISO on the p20 and the coins clearly say piso, so how is it pronounced peso? Also the smaller denomonation coins have 25 SENTIMO and not Centavo.
I think pisso is closer because the money is so damned dirty most of the time.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I think pisso is closer because the money is so damned dirty most of the time.
For sure. If you ever buy fish or chicken give them exact change. :th_thsmilies-29057:

• 5 months later...
Valerie
Posted
Posted

It is PISO and SENTIMO in Pilipino/Tagalog.PESO and CENTAVO in English.100 sentimo= 1 pisoI do not know how it is translated in other dialects other than Bicol and Tagalog.

til
Posted
Posted

Well in Bisayan at least I and E as well as O and U are pretty much interchangable (and of course F and P ;) ).They don't really seem to notice that these letters are pronounced differently in our language, I think to them its just a kind of individual decision or question of dialect how you want to pronounce it.

• Like 1