Watch Where You Walk In Cebu!

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

So I'm currently in the Quest Hotel enjoying the view of the Ayala construction going on across the road. They guys start work early and knock-off around 11pm or so. Entertaining to watch at times. Like the "welder" who tried about a dozen times before he was able to eventually strike an arc, only to have it extinguish a couple seconds later. This repeated a dozen times. Certainly fills one with confidence...

But thus evening's show topped that. I'm sitting in bed and the normal pounding and clanking is going on. However, a loud metallic crunch interrupts the normal cacophony, followed by swishing. I get up and stroll to look out the window and in the darkness I can make out that something is pouring down from the side of the building. Somehow they've managed to dump a load of concrete off the top (I think that's currently the 8th floor) of the building. Fortunately they were working on the side of the building that is adjacent to an empty lot rather than the two sides adjacent to a street. As far as I can tell no one was hurt as I don't see any ambulances and work continued apace; following that is, the obligatory everyone looking over the side to watch the concrete "water fall".

The other day I walked along the side of the street adjacent to the construction. I think for now on I'll cross the road for my travels.

Of course, now I'm watching the tower crane and calculating the whether or not it would hit my room should it collapse. Maybe I need to see if the front desk can move me a few rooms further away.....

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Makes you think twice about all those pesky OSHA laws in the USA.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

After living close to some construction sites what you described sounds normal to me.

You should also say, watch where you step. There may be an open hole or ditch that wasn't there before and the ground could be covered with nails like it was at Gaisano in Carcar after construction to make it larger.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

It is only a matter of time till we have a large industrial accident like what happened in India a few months ago.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It is only a matter of time till we have a large industrial accident like what happened in India a few months ago.

Do you mean accident killing workers or people around too?

If the later, where are such dangerous industries?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Not long ago there was a large construction site that fell killing and injuring some of the workers. Some of the people in management and supervision went to jail for using substandard materials. Sometimes substandard materials are used to produce more profit for the construction company. I believe I read the news story on this forum.