Korean Air? No Thanks!

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

Finally getting my old wrinkly hairy back porch to the Philippines, 2nd weekend in March. :) Like many of us 1st timers you want to know "the best airlines", which I have learned everyone has their own opinion so there is no "best airlines to the Phils". I decided on Korean Air due to many comments about their new wide body fleet, their great service, decent food, and the airport in Seoul is one of the best in the world. Plus, I've been advised to avoid Manila if at all possible. So I could fly directly to Cebu. 

Now the last 3 days I have made exactly 13 attempts to book a flight on the KA website. 1st attempt it was down for maintenance most of the day. 2-5 attempt kept experiencing problems. After calling their customer service I was advised to use Internet Explorer instead of Google. Attempts 6-10 it wouldn't let me choose a flight.  :1 (103): Back to Google for my next three tries. Finally, my last attempt got me all the to the end until it came to purchasing the ticket. It wouldn't let me buy the ticket after providing all the info. So now I call customer service back thoroughly pissed off and explained the entire episode only to be asked if I would like them to book my flight for me. At this point, of course!!! "Sir we will have to charge an additional $119 to book your flight. Stupid me, so frustrated at this point, "of course". I really wanted to get this over with. After what seemed to be about 30 minutes going back and forth trying to understand each other, she finally had my reservation. BUT, now she had to turn me over to the ticketing department. After a short pause she comes back on the phone and tells me that all the ticket agents are busy and that one would call me in the next 30-45 minutes. It has now been over 18 hours. Now they can kiss my old wrinkly hairy ass.  :angry: I'm turning everything over to a travel agent.  :1 (103):  :1 (103):  :1 (103):

PS. Is this a prelude to life in the Philippines?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yes just go to a travel agent you can pay there and half the time you will get a better deal that the KA site 

Preview of the Phils lol  you will wish it runs that smooth

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

After calling their customer service I was advised to use Internet Explorer instead of Google.

Has to do with ActiveX, an MS product. There is a workaround for Chrome but that's ridiculous. 

PS. Is this a prelude to life in the Philippines?

Websites that don't work, dysfunctional govt agencies, archaic policies that defy logic, and the most clueless employees you will ever experience. In a word, yes.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We always use Korean Air, never had a problem and like you said, Inchon is a first class airport. In fact KA was very helpful when we made the move and brought our American cat with us. I thought everyone used travel agents. Surely with all the friends and relatives you have on your Pinay side there must be one in the family. In fact there is very little that needs to be done where there is not a friend or relative or batch mate that either can do something or knows someone who can get things done. 2nd cousin was the architect of our house, bro in laws batch mate works at city hall and got the building permits, another batch mate works for the building inspection department, other bro in law works for department of foreign affairs, who pointed out a buddy who got the Asawas Philippine pass port processed. the list goes on and on. Most life here depends on a system of favors and who knows who lol.

• Like 2

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

Very easy if u use cheapoair and usually a better price than booking direct with KA or a travel agent. Only problem is if u want to make changes , then cheapoair charges a fee that KA doesn't charge.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I was unable to book online directly with KA from within PI. Never tried cheapoair or an agent. Cebu Pacific also charges a web admin fee, along with numerous other add ons. PAL's fares are all in (includes airport tax too) but you can't book a 2 leg trip together. PAL flys from Bacolod to Manila then to Macau but you have to book each leg separately. I prefer to book my flights online. Doing any kind of business in PI is difficult.

Scotts comments on favors is true but it will cost you plenty as they expect lots in return for helping you.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You can always use a 3rd party online agent like Orbitz, Expedia, etc. The airline pays the fee, probably cheaper then redesigning the web site to 21st century standards.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I travel a lot and with every airline on this world. Korean air is a decent one but not the best. Their planes are not different than the others. Depends from where you fly then accordingly goes the airline. When I choose the ticket (and not my company, in which I can hardly change anything) I always book from skyscanner with price accent order. Then I look the time stop over at the airports and accordingly decide. Airlines I avoid and wouldn't hesitate to pay 100-200$ not flying with them are:

All European airlines with exception of PAT (Portugal Air lines) and Aegean Air Lines which both give an amazing service

All US airlines since they have the worst service plus they charge you for the drinks even at international flights, in domestic ones the even charge you for food (a stupid sacks/sandwich box!!!)

Philippines Airlines is a big no no to me but I do get to fly them often due to my company's ticket...first and foremost the food is not edible, they use the centennial airport which is new but no good taxi service (even the airport taxi there is a rip off), their planes are always congested, not a chance to find an empty seat besides you, their service just reaches the level of acceptable but not further.

On the other hand though is a 12 or 14 hours (depends if it is LA to Manila or Manila to LA, due to the earth rotation) flight and all your travel is over...

Best I find all Asian and Arab airlines plus Chinese.

Given your origin of flight, I would have choose Cathay Pacific or Thai Airlines or Japan Airlines (I hate Narita airport though but the carrier is great)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have used Korean Air a couple times and have really enjoyed the flight, and the Seoul airport.  I have always bought my tickets thru a 3rd party like Travelocity.  I check all of them and pick the cheapest flight with a decent schedule... KA just happens to hit it right sometimes.  Good selection of onboard entertainment, and decent food.  Plus free slippers, and a toothbrush ha ha