Just The Two Of You

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Lots of threads about living cost , but what about if there was just the two of you, no kids just you and the missis,

Ok there may be times when the family visit but if you are hundreds of miles away you will have lots of notice they are on the way,

So back to the title, just the two of you, food, going out, bills and so on we all have those, but what we will not have is school fees and more mouths to feed,

Are there many or any of you living like this and you have know intention of any kids to bring into your lives either, if so what is your budget to live comfortable and to blend in with the locals too

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My opinion is that about 97% of living costs or budgets on this forum relate to 2 people only. But if you ask me for an educated guess I would say 97.3%  :mocking:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have posted my budget here before and it was for just the 2 of us... it was also only p30,000 a month.  As I said then - I enjoy it but would not recommend it ha ha  :tiphat:

I raised 2 kids by myself in the old country and have no desire to have any more.  So far so good...

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I really don't think there would be much difference, in fact with a filipina wife I would say you would get by much cheaper, she being able to go to the local and wet markets, a place where few westerners venture.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hmm, I go to the wet market in Baguio all the time but only during daylight.

A few weeks ago I was walking in the market and heard a young female voice say "Amerikano". I quickly turned around and exclaimed, "Where?"

The two girls behind me broke out laughing.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If your No 2 likes dried fish and rice its gonna be cheap but if she eats bacon and eggs and cereal with fresh milk like I do and mine does then its gonna cost ya.  Budgets are gonna be all over the map on this.  I see it in my circle of friends.  Each couple has a hugel difference in their food budget depending on their tastes and cooking skills.  In my circle I see it range from about 5000 pesos a month (eats at home, both eat filipino style, meat only twice a week) to 30,000 pesos a month (eat out lots and likes steak and other expensive stuff) and up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

A few weeks ago I was walking in the market and heard a young female voice say "Amerikano". I quickly turned around and exclaimed, "Where?"

I have been to the Baguio wet market a few times and it is a relatively nice and big market, compared to others I have been too.  I love looking at all the fresh colorful veggies laid out nicely!

I didn't see many foreigners there, which seemed odd, as there are a lot of foreigners in Baguio.  Seemed to get a lot of the foreigner stares but those might have been because I am so good looking!   :hystery:   One old lady pulled me aside and proceeded to tell me all the places she had been in the US and where her relatives lived, etc.  Actually, she was really nice and not intrusive.

I have not been in the Olongapo City wet markets and I may never go in.  Once they see the dollar sign on my forehead and link me to Abby, the grapevine will insure that she never gets another discount again!   :hystery:   There is a convenient Chow King where I can have a bite of breakfast and read their newspapers. :thumbsup:

Edit:  Sorry, I went way off topic.  Our budget is very high because we chose to live in the Subic Bay Freeport.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have been to the Baguio wet market a few times and it is a relatively nice and big market, compared to others I have been too.  I love looking at all the fresh colorful veggies laid out nicely!

I didn't see many foreigners there, which seemed odd, as there are a lot of foreigners in Baguio.  Seemed to get a lot of the foreigner stares but those might have been because I am so good looking!   :hystery:   One old lady pulled me aside and proceeded to tell me all the places she had been in the US and where her relatives lived, etc.  Actually, she was really nice and not intrusive.

I have not been in the Olongapo City wet markets and I may never go in.  Once they see the dollar sign on my forehead and link me to Abby, the grapevine will insure that she never gets another discount again!   :hystery:   There is a convenient Chow King where I can have a bite of breakfast and read their newspapers. :thumbsup:

Edit:  Sorry, I went way off topic.  Our budget is very high because we chose to live in the Subic Bay Freeport.

They do call this area (Baguio) the salad bowl of the Philippines. If you drive through La Trinadad just north of Baguio you will see long caravans of trucks forming up to transport vegetables to Manila.

I like to eat big mixed green and fruit salad so I go to the wet market several times a week. Here the ingredients for the salads I like cost a small fraction of what they did where I lived in the US.

• Like 4