Outdoor Vhf-Uhf Tv Antenna?

SNAFU
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anybody have any experience and decent luck using an outdoor VHF-UHF TV antenna, and if so, how is performance and picture quality?  Or, perhaps I'm wasting my time and money?  I'm referring to the Baron, Crystal, Edge and CDR-King type of outdoor dipole and 3-element (extended range) kits you see at Ace, Handyman, CDR-King, etc. for 500-600 pesos.  I know my question begs a lot of "it depends...", but we're living in a fairly new (~10 yrs.) subdiv slightly NE of Bacolod City proper.  I notice on our walks through the neighborhood about 1/2 the houses have antennas, just a couple of sat. dishes, and the rest, probably cable or nothing.  We brought our LCD HDMI TVs with us from the states, but are not frequent TV watchers, there's to much to do, see and go outdoors here, ha!  Don't want to jump into a paid service plan we're not going to fully use, or use at all when we're stateside.  It appears this topic was covered about 3 years ago, but things have changed.  Thanks, all.

SNAFU

P.S. Yes, we have a several dedicated 110 VAC circuits in the house. 

P.P.S.  I also see quite a few small, panel-type antennas (about the size of a 1-dozen egg carton) mounted on a single, high mast outdoors, are those likely WiFi, or something else?

Edited by SNAFU

jpbago
Posted
Posted

With the outdoor antenna, we get 2 and sometimes 3 channels. Not good ones. We are south of Bacolod. I don't watch TV.

That high egg carton thing is Smart Bro internet.

As with both, "it depends" on your specific location.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
Anybody have any experience and decent luck using an outdoor VHF-UHF TV antenna, and if so, how is performance and picture quality? Or, perhaps I'm wasting my time and money? I'm referring to the Baron, Crystal, Edge and CDR-King type of outdoor dipole and 3-element (extended range) kits you see at Ace, Handyman, CDR-King, etc. for 500-600 pesos. I know my question begs a lot of "it depends...", but we're living in a fairly new (~10 yrs.) subdiv slightly NE of Bacolod City proper. I notice on our walks through the neighborhood about 1/2 the houses have antennas, just a couple of sat. dishes, and the rest, probably cable or nothing.

Let's see now, NE of the city probably means Mandalagan, Bata, Shopping, or Eroeco. If so, you should be able to pull in Ch 4 ABS-CBN and Studio 23 but the rest will be iffy.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Yep, Bgy. Bata, you nailed it.  Thanks!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

if you can find out which direction the Station tower/antenna is located, North?Northwest/northeast?South? etc,

then aline your antenna in that direction,, 

you may want to find a "signal booster/amplifier " to help increase the signal

some of the PREPAY cable/satellite  plans are as low as 299 or 399p. Dream, Cingal..

of what i recall you would need to buy the dish and receiver unit..

post-1293-0-70899700-1392405769_thumb.jppost-1293-0-65855300-1392405781_thumb.jp

• Like 2