Filipino Public Schools

alsuave
Posted
Posted

How good/bad are they really. I know the English they teach isn't very good, but what about the rest? Math, science, history, geography, etc...?

I know some of the private schools are fantastic, just curious about the public schools.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

There is no geography taught in either school. They think that the world is flat. Even OFWs have no idea where they are. Two nights ago, on the news, it was discussed about how the teachers inflate the marks by 25 points to make it look good for them and for the school but the students then pass with little knowledge. Look in previous posts on this topic. Up to now, a high school diploma was grade 10 but next year it will be grade 12, before college. Maybe then they will be able to shorten some of the college courses from 4 years to 2 years. I have a daughter graduating 4th year (grade 10) and one in 1st year college. I have looked at their books and was not impressed. Lots of useless subjects and wasted days. They ask me many questions that they should have taken before grade 8. Some say that it is better in Manila but out here in the provinces, there is room for improvement.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I believe it. About the public schools at least. Because I've always been under the impression that the private schools spend a lot of time, money, and effort finding quality teachers overseas and price their tuition accordingly.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Its my experience from testing high school students and graduates that they know very little basic knowledge that is usually learned in elementary school in other countries.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
but what about the rest? Math, science, history, geography, etc...?
Well.

/Most can three languages at least understandable  (=Tagalog, English and their local language, but many mix them and spell bad, so you can need to try to do "decoding" before it become understandable  :)

/Almost no one can count the simplest percent counting, even high educated. E g one TEACHER thought 1 of 5 = 4 percent  :lol: 

(After testing rather many, I have found only two, who manage some harder percent counting, plus I guess two more, who I haven't asked, because they have other related knowledge, so I asume they can this too.)

/Geography. Several believe countries as Greece and Sweden are in USA   :hystery:    Exceptions are some, who have a cousin or such in the country in question, so they have learned it ELSEWHERE than in school...

At least in some schools they spend to much of the time exersising to some performance instead of realy studying.

Teachers have hard to teach good partly because many schools are forced to buy bad books, because some corrupt politician/official benifits from THAT book...  :1 (103):

It's a problem they have unmodern teaching methods, NOT exersise kids to think themselves, just sit and listen to teacher talking and talking and try to learn by heart, similar to how they teached in Sweden 50 years ago...

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Even in Manila, the only two public schools worth considering are UP High and Philippine Science High School. Actually, that's a misstatement. They're not just worth considering, they're very good. Better than most private schools even.

But other than these two, it's private schools all the way. Bear in mind though that even among the private schools, there will still be a good deal of disparity.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

To be admitted to the Philippine Science High School System the student must pass a tough entrance exam and be in the top percent of their lower classes. If they attend public schools there's not much chance. One of the branches of PSHS is here in Argao but that's a way down the road for us.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Private schools are a lot better. My step daughter went to public school up to grade 6 and when I came into the picture we sent her to a private one and she could not handle the change. She said it was too hard. We hired a tutor and she is finally capable of doing the work.  The school is 4500 pesos a month

• Like 1