House Inspection

davewe
Posted
Posted

Here's a potentially stupid question (it woudnt be my first). While retirement and therefore moving to PI is 2-4 years away one of my goals on this current trip was to scope out potential cities/towns to live in and even real estate.

Yes, I know I know - rent first. But I'm a cautious anal guy and wanted to see what my experience would be with looking at houses, using a real estate agent, etc. the experiences were intesting (might make a different topic). But what occured to me is this. In the US you generally hire a guy to do an inpection when buying used property. He tells you what's good and bad. This is of course before the sale is finalized. Maybe you go back to the seller and ask for changes or repairs.

Are there any similar inspectors in PI? If not, did you find a friend, contractor, etc. to take a look or just hoped for the best? I have no such experience and couldn't tell whether a house is fundamentally sound or not.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for asking as I am curious about this too.  Hopefully someone knows about inspectors here.

Stillpoint
Posted
Posted

I've built here, and rather than an inspector I'd hire a reputable engineer to check out the place.  One good thing in PH is that labor is cheap--relatively--even engineers.  Also a termite inspection.  If you're buying concrete there are still things to look at as leaks, etc. 

Also, I'd AVOID agents BY THEMSELVES cuz they basically have just their commission properties. No MLS here. Bring someone who lives in the city or area and is loyal to you.  Think about noise at the location..  visit at night when everyone's home...and the K bars are pumping music.

It would be very EZ to buy a nice house and find a bario with tin roof and makeshift walls DENSLY populated well within earshot.  You might wanna travel the area in a tricyle slowly and watch for that type of thing before buying

• Like 1

billygoat993
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you are buying a house from a builder you can just go aroubd before buting and check the workmanship before its plastered and finished since once the house is finished everything looks nice but is it structural integrity is what matters most. You can also ask for homeowners about their current issues or go to the Engineering office of the place and ask the Engineering dept about the outcome of their inspecction.

If you are buying an owner built house it should have blue prints, structural computation submitted at the Engineering dept to get Permits then the City inspectors usually visits and check the site and before a homeowner moves in they need an Occupancy permit wherein the house is inspected again. Meralco also insPects the wirings and computes the load and checks if its suitable. If the house you are buying don't have these paper works I would think twice. Since it would be hard to make repairs or alterations not having a blue print or not knowing about the wirings, beams, foundation etcc.

If the house you are goi g to buy is a bargain and not blueprint it mus have been done in rural areas where they just hire labors and do it on their own. I would suggest just to bring an engr preferably a City inspectore of he said place just ask the engineering dept. They would charge about 500 for that.

Edited by billygoat993
  • Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Also, I'd AVOID agents BY THEMSELVES cuz they basically have just their commission properties. No MLS here. Bring someone who lives in the city or area and is loyal to you.  Think about noise at the location..  visit at night when everyone's home...and the K bars are pumping music.

In this case I had contacted an agent in advance. When the day came to do a bit of a tour he said he was bringing the owner. We saw three properties that the owner had. It was interesting on many levels because the agent himself didn't seem to know squat.

The owner was a middle aged Filipina married to a German. Her English wasn't the best - she spoke Visayan to my wife a lot. When she spoke english she made jokes and just was a real character.

The one house we liked the most was in a very nice area of homes mostly owner by Germans. She quoted a price as "firm" but said she would finance it herself - I could make payments however I wanted, etc. When i said that when I was ready I would pay cash she immediately dropped 1/2 million from the firm price.

After we were done I received texts from her constantly over the next few days, asking which house I wanted. Finally it was the morning we were getting ready to leave for Cebu and our flight home. I received another text. My wife said "Just offer her a million less and see what she says." I had been clear in my initials emails to the agent that we were on our first scouting trip and not yet ready to buy (not by a long shot) but the seller was determined. I texted her just before we got on the bus. I expected some back and forth negotiations. But within 5 minutes she texted back that she would sell it for that cash price.

Well, I at least confirmed what I thought - when it comes to cash make an offer and see what happens. Nothing to lose. But this lead to my original question. If I had actually been ready to purchase I'd have no way to know whether the house was in the shape she claimed or was built to European standards as she also claimed.

So thanks for the suggestions. It may be years (or never) till this happens but I believe that information is important.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

Stillpoint
Posted
Posted

Re the story about offering a million less in cash...of course...no one seems to have ready cash here other than foreigners...and  it is expected that you bargain like you did even if not offering spot cash.  

Also, think about is how illiquid "high end" real estate is in PH. High end here is like average new construction in Western countries. There just are not many buyers, and if a someone wants to sell they are probably prepared to take a loss

Another thing to watch for in construction here would be apparent short cuts, e.g. if the roof beams are of wood that has to be sprayed every year rather than metal...then the entire house was probably cheaply put together.