What Has Happened To 1799 - Divorce Bill

Gerry the Brit
Posted
Posted

The Philippines as I understand it don't allow divorce, only under very extreme circumstances like insanity at the time.

Ive seen a bill that is supposed to be coming up for discussion 1799 divorce bill which was submitted by Maria Carmina Olivar.

Is it coming up for discussion if so has any body got any idea as to the date.

Reason I ask, as I may well meet a Filipina who is separated.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The family is protected by the Constitution and the Catholic government.  I would not expect divorce anytime soon.  They are having hell from the church just trying to pass a reproductive health bill!   :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Sorry Brother, I have read the paper everyday for the last 18 months and this is the first I have heard of it. But I agree with Tuka, congress here moves very slowly at the best of times. In fact I would not be surprised that in the normal give and take of politics, the bill you mentioned might have been sacrificed to get the reproductive health bill passed. The church did kind of cave in on that. Not to sound crass or uncaring (which is means that I will be exceedingly crass and uncaring). If you have not formed a super strong attachment with this lady or have not even met her. Move on, plenty of fish in the sea. IMHO you are just going to open up a whole big can of head ache.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
If you have not formed a super strong attachment with this lady or have not even met her. Move on, plenty of fish in the sea. IMHO you are just going to open up a whole big can of head ache.

^^ This.  It's going to be hard enough proving SAO is a widow and not trying to dodge the bullet with regards to annulment.  Not a major issue for us given my chosen path of permanent residency there but it's something we're very aware of for the future. 

Jake
Posted
Posted

The Philippines as I understand it don't allow divorce, only under very extreme circumstances like insanity at the time.

Ive seen a bill that is supposed to be coming up for discussion 1799 divorce bill which was submitted by Maria Carmina Olivar.

Is it coming up for discussion if so has any body got any idea as to the date.

Reason I ask, as I may well meet a Filipina who is separated.

Hey Gerry,

I did an internal search (divorce bill) within PDI website and it sounds like it ain't going anywhere.  Maybe up to committee

levels within congress and some say it was submitted by the author just to get political points (pogi points).  In reality, how

many of those womanisers in congress will actually discuss, let alone pass a bill that would take them to the cleaners in a

divorce court?  

I would rather see something called the deadbeat father bill, where the law enforces child support payments from Filipinos

having multiple illegit family relationships, called secret families.  In the meantime, population explosion throughout the

Philippines will continue, with the blessings from the XXXX to increase their flock of lost souls.   

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
If you have not formed a super strong attachment with this lady or have not even met her. Move on, plenty of fish in the sea. IMHO you are just going to open up a whole big can of head ache.
Yes. Annulments seem solvable normaly, but much headache and cost both much money and time. 
the bill you mentioned might have been sacrificed to get the reproductive health bill passed. The church did kind of cave in on that
Well. The church tried hard to stop it. First they blocked it, but they lost in the highest court.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
I would rather see something called the deadbeat father bill, where the law enforces child support payments from Filipinos having multiple illegit family relationships, called secret families. In the meantime, population explosion throughout the Philippines will continue, with the blessings from the XXXX to increase their flock of lost souls.

Very much agree with this.  I've lost count of the women I know in PI that are on the wrong end of the stick with this, and I know two Filipinos that are quite proud of the fact that they're on their 3rd or 4th "marriage" with no intentions of paying for, or even seeing their kids from previous relationships ever again. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah if the family is so important, a deadbeat father law would be great!  But they just say the guy is poor and cannot pay...  which means a free ride (pun intended)   :tiphat:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just for S&G's there is an article in the paper today about what congress will be working on in the upcoming session, 1799 wasn't mentioned.

• Like 2