Skilled Tailor In Dumaguete Or Tagbilaran?

Orange Sol
Posted
Posted

Dear expats.

I am in a terrible problem (from a woman's point of view :rolleyes: ):

I am getting married and need to buy a wedding dress, I would like to have made ​​a copy of a wedding dress I have a photograph of, but I am not sure where I should go. I have googled and searched the net with no result. Is there a skillful and reliable tailor in Dumaguete or Tagbilaran I can trust to take on the great responsibility to sew my wedding dress? Any recommendations?

The alternative is to mail my measuring as well as the photograph of the dress to a tailor in Manila, but I am unsure whether it will be a good result if I can not choose the fabric myself.

What would you choose to do in my situation?

Therefore, please help a (soon) desperate woman!

Thank you very much...

///###Orange Sun###///

Jake
Posted
Posted

Dear expats.

I am in a terrible problem (from a woman's point of view :rolleyes: ):

I am getting married and need to buy a wedding dress, I would like to have made ​​a copy of a wedding dress I have a photograph of, but I am not sure where I should go. I have googled and searched the net with no result. Is there a skillful and reliable tailor in Dumaguete or Tagbilaran I can trust to take on the great responsibility to sew my wedding dress? Any recommendations?

The alternative is to mail my measuring as well as the photograph of the dress to a tailor in Manila, but I am unsure whether it will be a good result if I can not choose the fabric myself.

What would you choose to do in my situation?

Therefore, please help a (soon) desperate woman!

Thank you very much...

///###Orange Sun###///

Hello Orange Sun,

I can't give any advice about the tailor shops in those two cities but it sounds like you're under some

strict time constraint.  Relying on Manila will be a logistical nightmare, even if they have sufficient time. 

Too many things can delay that process, one of which is the back and forth revisions because you're

not satisfied yet.

One thing I can tell you about the Filipino's art of designing, especially their skills on a basic sewing

machine.  I was thorough impressed when they made a set of 12 US military uniforms for me.  Very

comfortable material for the tropics and slim cut.  

Good luck Miss Orange Sun!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I am not familiar with those area either. But here is an idea. I am sure you have some neighbors who you talk with. I suggest you go to a female neighbor and ask if they know who made their daughter quinciera dress (coming out party) or their sisters wedding dress (etc etc). Ask to see it, if it meets your ideal of workmanship, ask to be introduced. Over all as Jake says, most workmanship quality is very high. As your adventure continues here you will learn that the real google isn't on your computer, its just your next door neighbor who will ask her cousin who will ask her class mate who will ask her brother in law. This really is a "who you know" country.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I have had clothes made for me (no Jake no wedding dresses) in both Cebu and Bacolod and i can tell you from experience you need to be there to pick the fabric and be fitted .... most tailer shops prefer you to buy the fabric and most of the extras like zippers .... velcro for closures etc. ..... you also need to be there to be fitted .... tailors here ... although some are highly skilled .... lack the proper fitting for foreign size bodies ..... the one i have here in Bacolod is excellent and is a master cutter ..... he can make anything .... he has made me cargo shorts .... walking shorts ..... tank tops and is currently working on some long pants ..... and they all fit perfectly ..... we buy the material (he tells us how much to get) and he does the rest .....

If you aren't there to see what you will be getting before it is made I'm afraid you will be very sadly disappointed .... and it sounds like you are making preparations for a nice wedding .... don't ruin it by having someone second guess what you want in a wedding dress .... hell .... I won't even do that for a tank top let alone for something as important to you as a wedding dress ..... JMHO

:cheersty:  

• Like 2

Orange Sol
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone.

Many thanks for your quick and very helpful answers -I think your advice has saved my wedding day :541:

Nice to know that most tailors are talented, I already feel more confident about finding a small tailor shop.

When you got your clothes made, did you negotiated the price? (For I am from a country with 100% fixed prices so negotiation feels a little strange, but if I do no bargaining then I will be very quickly ruined)

Yes ... I am looking forward to the wedding, it will be held in Denmark in September. I think it would be lovely if my dress could remind me of the beautiful Philippines.

Another thing: I am a vegetarian and out of curiosity would like to know if you know some Filipino vegetarian dishes? (Yes, it can be difficult here, especially if I go to resturents.)

Again thank you very much.

///###Orange Sun###///

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes you can negotiate ..... we do it all the time .... my asawa (wife) goes to the tailer the first time and gets a price .... after that has been established the next day I show up .... :mocking:  .... after the poor tailor man pickes himself up off the floor when he sees my size we joke with him and agree to pay him a bit more because of my size .... and everyone is happy next time there is never a problem as the price remains firm ....

Sorry can't help on the vegetarian dishes as they usually always add something to the ulam (one dish meals)  I can't think of anything besides rice ..... there are a lot of dishes that have fish .... shrimp .... crabs or chicken but I'm not sure if you eat those or not ..... some vegetarians just don't eat meat but chicken and seafood are excepted ..... if that is the case with you then there are lots of restaurant dishes you can eat  ....... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Like Mike S. I double checked with my Asawa about veggie dishes, her first reaction was "there is lots of fish". When pressed about total veggie food...........I got the LOOK :sign0095: I am sure your future hubby will suffer from "the look" also

• Like 3

Orange Sol
Posted
Posted
Mike S: Unfortunately...I have not asawa/wife to assist me with the price :rolleyes:
How far should I haggle down the price?
E.g. If the dress "costs" 10.000 Php, should I say 7500, 5000 or 2500 Php? It is very difficult for me to negotiate price, as it is something new I have to learn.

Yes, I wonder if Filipino vegetarian dishes remain a mystery?

On restaurents it is a struggle to explain "no beef, no pork, no chicken, no fish and no seafood and no meat stock too."

Particularly the last part is difficult to explain.

The few dishes I have found is:

-Vegetable curry

-Grilled eggplant tossed in eggs

-Vegetable tempura (But this dish is perhaps from Japan?)

-Chop suey

(And of course rice.)

Scott h: (giggles)...Do not worry.... my future husband is 100% vegetarian too :mocking: